Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 03:35 PM   #1

Death Valley trip Memorial Day weekend

My wife and I are heading to Death Valley next weekend. First time in 30 years when we did the Goler wash in an old utility vehicle that was more like an army truck. Plan is to leave LA Thursday around noon and find three or four nice backcountry camp spots. If anyone has suggestions for camping or must-do drives, I'd love to hear them. If any would like to meet up for all or part, shout out!

Bryan

bolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Death Valley trip Memorial Day weekend

Well my favorite spots might be warm for that time of the year. One of the best drives could be Titus Canyon but you can't camp there. Chloride Cliffs trail is nearby and offers spots to camp at. Cotton Canyon is an awesome spot to camp and nearby Marble Canyon is a fantastic walk (no vehicles allowed). The Darwin Falls trail is also a neat drive and China Garden Springs is a nice camp spot. Echo is another nice place to camp at and the Eye Of The Needle is a great shot as the sun sets.

Not sure if you're after boon dock spots only or can handle any of the park campgrounds. Thorndike and Mahogany CG's would definitely be a bit cooler than spots low in the valley but they are campgrounds. The Hidden Valley loop close to the Race Track might be cooler as well but you'd have to boon dock. To tell the truth I stay clear of DV between late March and mid October, just too hot IMO.

If you go to my web site (the link is by my signature below) I have several trip reports in the Death Valley area.

Hope you have a good time.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:15 PM   #3

I've camped up at Mahogany Flats in July, and it was pleasantly cool - and empty! From there it is a nice hike up to Telescope Peak @11,000'. Take plenty of water.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #4

Garage

Have seen some nice boondocking spots along Hunter Mountain Road. It's not allowed to camp near Racetrack (a must to see in my opinion) but there is a place at the abandoned Lipincott Mine, about 4 miles South. Saline Valley is also a great place to visit with several hot springs where you can camp.
Hope it helps...