Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Cerro Gordo mines and ghost town in Keeler California video

Just returned from Cerro Gordo silver mines (1866) and ghost town, near Lone Pine with my pals Rawdawg and Tapatio among others. Creepy camping. Steep long road up to the mines. Thanks for the (explicit) tunes Quentin Hannappe. Shot exclusively by EVE, my drone child.

Change the setting to 720p HD
http://youtu.be/4dqIQpqhcW4

Also, took a day trip to the Salt Mines with a buddy's Rubicon from Cerro Gordo via Swansea rd. Was easy travels with it. Road was narrow at the beginning in one or 2 spots on the side of the mountain, but seems passable with a SMB. Travel with caution. Bring a saw. Low tree branches would definitely provide unique pin stripping. Maybe Tapatio can add some pics.

Enjoy

Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Cerro Gordo mines and ghost town in Keeler California vi

rad dude. good footage, good music, cool things to see. nice vid!!

question though. how is all that cool stuff just hanging out and not being stolen? is it far enough out the way that thieves and bandits dont bother? a setup like that wouldnt have all that cool shit in it to see if it was around these parts. our old mines are stripped clean of most anything identifiable.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:24 PM   #3

Cerro Gordo mines and ghost town in Keeler California video

Thanks. Robert the caretaker lives there. You're right though. He referenced looters aka bored kids from Lone Pine would damage the town if he didn't live there full time. He only leaves when someone else volunteers to stay there and plays docent. That job was offered to us fortunately. I guess we appeared like mature responsible adults We might make another trip back to help him find running water with EVE. Currently he trucks water in from Lone Pine.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #4

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
That job was offered to us fortunately. I guess we appeared like mature responsible adults
lol, appearences are everything well done.

interesting setup, very cool of robert the caretaker to keep up the place for others to enjoy. looks like a really neat place to visit. how far off the beatin path is it?

whats an eve?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

It's about 45-60 min northeast from the 395/190 intersection. Graded road. Just steep and long so we drove in 4L to ease up the temps.

EVE is the name I gave my quad copter. Inspired by the girl drone character in Wall-E.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #6

Garage

lol, ok. gotcha. i was thinking it was some high zoot dealio that detected water underground.

love the footage from those copters. really unique view.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #7

Old 06-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #8

Garage

Nice report, Jack.

That's a fabulous place. I've been visiting and staying there for twenty five years. I knew Jodi, the woman who owned the entire place and lived up there until she died in 2002. Her husband, Mike, remained on and took really good care of the place until his sudden death a few years ago. That really scared me because of the protection they gave the place and how much historic stuff was there. I'm glad Robert is keeping an eye out. CG is the most untouched original and authentic mining town left in the US. That's because it's privately owned and not restricted by any preservation laws or park status. I knew Mike well, and some of my prints are still in his house up there. He also owned Swansea and lived in the ranch house there often. I rented the entire town for three days and invited 17 of my friends up there to celebrate my 50th birthday (13 years ago today). Mike brought in two full-time cooks and we were all over the place including four wheel jaunts on most of the trails to the tram house and mines. I've photographed that place extensively for a long time and led Land Rover excursions up there. Gotta get back again…

Here's the old Muleskinners cabin in Swansea, and the compressor in the shafthouse up at CG (most folks can not get in there). And Mike's collection of tools in the 'Store'.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
Site Team

Damn drones!

No seriously though, that's really cool. I love the airborne view, such a different perspective of the world.

Herb
Old 06-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Garage

This was my second time to Cerro. The drive to the salt tram was stunning. Being able to stand on a ridge and see both Saline Valley and Owens Valley was amazing.

Saline

Owens