Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

West Montana boondocks suggestions?

We're heading to western Montana in July and would appreciate any suggestions for off-the-beaten track (away from summer traffic) camping suggestions. We might spend a little time in mid-eastern Idaho and western Wyoming as well. 4x4 ok. A bit of fly fishing on the agenda too.

littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #2

Garage
Re: West Montana boondocks suggestions?

I went through Eastern Idaho and Western Montana some weeks ago. In Idaho, they are plenty of nice boondocking spots along the Boise River and in the mountains around Stanley. This area is just wonderfull but many roads were still closed by snow. I espacially liked the area west of Stanley (around this location: Bear Valley, 44°25'17" N 115°26'49" W) with many mountain rivers and wild places. There is plenty of wildlife there, I saw more than 50 elks together one evening... I wanted to go to Deadwood Reservoir but there was still +6 feet snow at the pass. Another great place is Trinity Lakes. Moreover, the Atlanta Hot Springs are great but there is a primitive campground there, no boondocking.

In Montana, I only visited some places of Glacier NP, so I don't have much places to advice for boondocking. But Lemhi Pass on border with Idaho) is nice with an awesome view and not far away from Bannack Ghost Town. I also see somme nice places in the mountains north of Polaris.

Hope it helps...
Old 06-20-2014, 11:12 PM   #3

Just a couple weeks ago we did some scenic routes through western Montana . I'll have to post a few pics for you. Had a great time. There were a number of low key campgrounds or boondocking opportunities. Here's some info:

This website was extremely helpful for our trip to montana. !!! http://www.bigskyfishing.com/scenic-drives/index.php

The Routes we took were, in order:
The Southern Rocky Mountain Front Scenic Drive

The Anaconda-Pintler Scenic Route

The Mt. Haggin Scenic Drive

The Big Hole Valley & River Scenic Drive

The Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway

We wanted to do the Gravelly backcountry route but ran out of time.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. bigskyfishing.com was really helpful. I printed out several of the maps.
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote