Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Wanted: Vermont sites and camping hints

Hi,

Leggz and I want to visit Vermont soon and are looking for hints on camping and places to visit. Boondocking okay, organized sites less so, but if necessary.

Mandatory stops are Burlington and the Ben and Jerry's taste place.

Any suggestions much appreciated including micro breweries.

Thanks in advance team SMB.

regards,

Gavin

Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Re: Wanted: Vermont sites and camping hints

In southern Vermont there are some nice, free campsites along the Kelley Stand Rd. (aka Arlington-West Wardsboro Rd) in the Green Mtn Nat Forest off Rt. 100 behind Stratton Mountain. I've camped in the Grout Pond campground a few times. It's primitive, but free. Right on a nice little pond that's good for canoeing.

Google Maps has it as "Stratton Arlington Rd." Some great hikes off of this road, including the classic loop over Stratton Mtn and down to Stratton Pond via the Appalachian and Long trails. Supposedly the idea for creating the Appalachian Trail came while Benton MacKaye was on top of Stratton Mtn while hiking the Long Trail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benton_MacKaye).

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/greenmou ... 7&actid=92

PDF description: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/greenmo ... n_area.pdf

I think there is also a free, primitive USFS or Vermont state campground at Somerset Reservoir off Vt. Rt. 9, but it's been years since I've been there. Vermont has some very nice state parks (for a fee), and there is also dispersed camping throughout the state in the National Forest areas (usually free).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #3

Garage
Wanted: Vermont sites and camping hints

Grew up right between Burlington and Stowe, I would head to one of the many trailheads for Camels Hump or Mt Mansfield hiking trails for a shot at boondocking. Decent FS or State Park camping out in Underhill by the trailhead for hiking Mt Mansfield. Spacing the exact name right now. Do not and I repeat DO NOT miss The Alchemist in Waterbury to buy your 2 case allotment of Heady Topper double IPA, they sell out in an hr or 2 usually so get there right when they open. Prohibition Pig for awesome grub and even better brews on tap. Don't miss the Craft Beer Cellar to stock up on your hard to find brews as well. Both in Waterbury pretty much across the street from each other. Enjoy VT!
Old 08-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #4

Just added to my list of places to visit. How crowded is it in the Fall I wonder?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #5

I really enjoyed the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Historic site near Woodstock.

http://www.nps.gov/mabi/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Have fun, hope you have sunny days and star filled nights!
TallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Just added to my list of places to visit. How crowded is it in the Fall I wonder?

With the exception of Columbus Day weekend, in my experience Vermont isn't too bad in the fall once you get off the beaten path. There are plenty of USFS roads and other small roads to explore. Most traffic stays on the main "leaf peeper" routes, like Rt. 100.

Columbus Day weekend can get crazy, though. Last year we were up at Stratton and drove over to the road I mentioned above, where there is a very popular loop hike on the AT. I've never seen the parking lot so crowded! We went elsewhere.

Often it seems that the week before Columbus Day weekend is actually peak foliage, but of course it depends on weather factors, etc.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #7

Thanks Brian

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Been living here by Stowe for 2 yrs. Fall is great around here. Not to busy I think. As of boondocking,camels hump access roads would do. I just discovered Huntington river and it brings u along to the gorge. I'll hafta look into it more soon. I fly fish a lot around here. For brewery's cistern cider just opened in Burlington. If yea like hard cider. Also magic hat is in south Burlington on route 7. Yummy stuff there. Good luck and enjoy!
BeardedVermonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 PM   #9

Waterbury Reservoir below the Von Traps resort for camping and canoeing. Rock Art brewery in Waterbury and X2 on the Alchemist. Go visit the bread and puppet museum in the NEK. That is a trip.There's another real local brewery near there also. Cabot cheese close too. So many places to boondock in the NEK. Wish I still lived in the 802.
thumperswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

"bread and puppet museum"? Hmmmm.....