Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #1

Oregon Coast Bound

Thanks to 86Scotty and TWOLOST who have recently visited these areas and given amazing reports. Those reports are what made me move ahead with the trip, i couldn't resist and was way jealous.

We will be hauling the side by sides with us to take in some beach and dune riding between Florence and Coos Bay.

If anyone has any special places, favourite beaches, great camp spots (boondocking or campground) or other must see's please share. We will have our two kids, ages 3 and 1 year, so most of the trip will be showing them a great time.

Thanks in advance.

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Oregon Coast Bound

As I've said before on one of these posts, you can't go wrong on the Oregon Coast. The whole coast line is beautiful. From the head lands with the views to driving on the beach. Sand dunes, rocks and tide pools. It's one of my favorite places to go.

I've spent most of my time on the northern half from Cannon Beach to New Port. Some of my favorites:
Manzanita is a great town just north of Nehalem. Lots of sandy beach and good pizza. Its a quiet town and has a good State Campground, with showers, south of town.
Pacific city, 20 miles south of Tillamook, has a great sand dune famous for hiking up and running down, descent tide pools, surfing, dory boats and the Pelican Brew Pub. And fish tacos at Ben and Jeff's.
New Port has a good aquarium and there are several State Campgrounds in the area. Some of them are steps from the beach. I bet Larrie (forum member) could give you details on the campgrounds.
Oswald West State Park is north of Manzanita. You have to hike about 1/2 mile or so down to the beach. There is a campground, but you also have to hike down to it. The beach is remote and popular for surfing and the hike is through a beautiful forested area.

Too many places to mention them all. You should have a good time no matter where you go. Get a map and see as much as you can or spend your time in just a few places so that you'll have to come back to see the rest.

Safe travels,

Mike
Old 08-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #3

OK - if you stop by Manzanita you need to go to this little Mexican restaurant off main on the South side of the main drag there. They sell a hand rolled burrito there that still hangs in my memory from over seven years ago.
Tillamook cheese (and ice cream!!) factory is a must stop on the Oregon coast. Also on the tip of Oregon is Ft Stevens great state park. One of my favorites along the coast. As well as

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/index.c ... parkId=142

Dunes, motorcycling, quads, etc!!

You really can't go wrong with the Oregon Coast! Feel free to call if you want more details. 503-781-9967.
Bryrick
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

I was just north of Florence last weekend, there are many campgrounds between Newport and Coos Bay,both state and national forest service, both kinds have sites reservations via Reserve America. All the campgrounds were filling up, pretty early on Friday. Checked out multiple light houses and had a all round good time. Farther north is Nehalem State Park, probably my favorite . I believe the walk in campground at Oswald West State Park was closed a couple of years back. I have also stayed at Beverly Beach State campground between Newport and Lincoln City, usually in the winter because it has sites that are back in the forest a bit. These are all farther north then your target area, but from my trip last week there are a lot of campgrounds in the area you are looking.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #5

I sure appreciate the time you've all taken to give your input and help. I have made notes and added those suggestions to our trip. The long weekend kinda put a kink into the planning as most camp sites were filled up along the way, so we will take off on the monday and it looks like from then on sites are wide open and try to miss the crowds.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

As said before, it is hard to go wrong on the Oregon coast. We sped two weeks in Rockaway each year, in a building not camping. There is about six miles of beach to walk between the Nehalem River jetty and the Tillamook Bay jetty. In between is Garibaldi, Bar View, and Rockaway.

There is a steam train that runs between Garibaldi and Rockaway that was great fun for my 3 year old grandson. You can board in either Garibaldi or Rockaway. The trip takes about 1-1/2 hours.

The Tillamook cheese factory is aways a fun stop. They have good food, great ice cream, and a self guided tour of the factory where you can watch them make cheese.

There is a great county park in Bar View that is right on the bay. You can fish off the jetty and possibly see seals bobbing in the surf. You usually see seals at the Nehalem River jetty as well.

Newport has the Hatfield Marine Science Center with exhibits to look at. You may also be able to pet a star fish. There is also the Oregon Coast Aquarium.

Hope you have a fun trip.

Larrie
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #7

Hug Point Beach is one of the best....shhhh, don't tell!
Manzanita and Gearhart are great little towns.

Down south, dune camping in Oregon Dunes Nat'l Rec Area is a blast. Lots of campsites to camp in the sand, drive miles and miles up the coastline.
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote