Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #1

N/W Washington trip ideas needed

I'll be in the Bellingham area soon and it looks like I've got some time off in November. I'd love to hear some ideas on nearby short trips (3 to 5 days or so) that would be remote, scenic, and open. I have almost no experience in the area. I love camping in the winter and I'm not afraid of snow, but don't get too adventurous when out without another vehicle, despite having lots of rescue gear. All ideas are welcome, as well as anyone who wants to lead the way..............

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #2

Re: N/W Washington trip ideas needed

A beautiful drive that starts near Bellingham is Hwy 20 over the North Cascades then down into the Methow Valley. That road will close this month or next, but should be very pretty right now. East of the Cascades you'll have drier weather with warmer days and colder nights. Lots of boondocking opportunities as well as NF campgrounds. Hart's Pass on the road out of Mazama is a favorite and intersects with the Pacific Crest Trail. Winthrop is a fun little town, as is Twisp. Loup Loup campground on Hwy 20 out of Twisp is one of my favorites, you're likely to have it all to yourself this time of year.

Another choice is to take the ferry out of Anacortes to Lopez Island in the San Juans. I'm told there is a county park there where you can camp right on the water. Haven't done that yet, but it's on the short list for winter camping. While in Bellingham be sure to catch Chuckanut Drive. It's a short drive on high bluffs overlooking the San Juans, just south of Bellingham. If you have a kayak, there's some nice paddling north of Wildcat Cove in Larrabee State Park.

Let us know where you ended up.
sbgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #3

Thanks spgrimm, Great ideas, sadly I suspect we won't be ready to go for another couple weeks as were still in Alaska, and by that time the pass may be snowed in. Still, I need to do a shake down cruise prior to heading South in December, I'm hoping to get to Death Valley and the surrounding area. Baja was on the list, but we probably won't have time this year, but if not, next year for sure............Safe travels
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

Garage

North of Vancouver in BC should be good. Its called the sunshine coast. Even the whistler area stays snow free until winter.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrimm
A beautiful drive that starts near Bellingham is Hwy 20 over the North Cascades then down into the Methow Valley. That road will close this month or next, but should be very pretty right now. East of the Cascades you'll have drier weather with warmer days and colder nights. Lots of boondocking opportunities as well as NF campgrounds. Hart's Pass on the road out of Mazama is a favorite and intersects with the Pacific Crest Trail. Winthrop is a fun little town, as is Twisp. Loup Loup campground on Hwy 20 out of Twisp is one of my favorites, you're likely to have it all to yourself this time of year..
That's a solid suggestion. It's a beautiful drive amongst some of the best of the North Cascades. The road is a twisty one, more enjoyable on a motorcycle or sports car than a 4 x 4 van, but a beautiful part of the country.

Another idea would be to find a shortcut ferry ride to Port Angeles and make your way over to the Olympic Peninsula. The section of coast between Forks and Kalaloch is some of the most beautiful coastline anywhere in the world. Check out Rialto beach and then take a drive up the Hoh River valley. There are lots of places to explore and to access the coast and beaches and if you are into hiking there are tons of options. Without the ferry option, I believe you would have to drive down to Olympia and catch Hwy 101.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #6

"Another idea would be to find a shortcut ferry ride to Port Angeles and make your way over to the Olympic Peninsula."

This is one of our favorite areas. We love to head to the beach during big winter storms, actually we were there about a month ago. Spent several days at Hobuk beach. We also found enough 4wd roads to get our selves in trouble a time or two. Thanks for the ideas.................
Advanced 4wd
Old 11-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

I'd you find yourself in Btown give me a ring. I have a few beers in the frog at all times. Cheers,
Bryrick 503-781-9967
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote