Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

thankgiving planning 8 days from new york to nevada

p/up used 2001 smb 2wd driving from new york to nevada . what is he best route to go. Love to sight seeing along the way .First time ever to drive across country. Any suggestions thanks in advance

tonytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: thankgiving planning 8 days from new york to nevada

The most obvious route is I-80 to Northern Nevada or to the I-15 in Salt Lake City if you are going to Las Vegas. It's a straight shot down the I-15 to Vegas. However, if you are going to Vegas you may want to take the I-80 into Colorado then cut down on I-76 to Denver and take I-70 to I-15. Sorry to say you should avoid I-80 through Wyoming in the winter. Usually there is a high probability of snow, wind and ice along that route. If you were doing this in the summer there are much prettier routes to take. But, in the winter I would recommend staying on the interstate highways.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:06 AM   #3

If you do take I-70 west from Denver you will love that drive across the western half of Colorado. It's a very pretty stretch of interstate. You could then take a quick detour off exit 182 (Hwy 191) in eastern Utah and see Moab and the maze district of Canyonlands. It would be a great day trip or more, but just to do some sightseeing at the overlooks you could do quickly in a day, or thoroughly in 2 including the drive through Arches NP. Continuing west on 70 I would recommend 89 (exit 23) down through Zion NP area and jump back on I-15 somewhere around St. George, but Mac is right about the weather. It could reroute you almost anywhere on your journey.

Have fun!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
You could then take a quick detour off exit 182 (Hwy 191) in eastern Utah and see Moab and the maze district of Canyonlands. It would be a great day trip or more, but just to do some sightseeing at the overlooks you could do quickly in a day, or thoroughly in 2 including the drive through Arches NP.
Have fun!

^^^^^^^

Totally worth the trip down the 191 into Moab. If you want to camp, there are lots of campgrounds on the 128 right as you drive into Moab along the Colorado river. 191 south, go left on the 128. We've camped at Hal Canyon campground a bunch of times but there are many to choose from. Arches is close by as 86Scotty mentioned, great little side trip.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM   #5

Given the time of year, and that it is essentially a "delivery trip," I would keep a close eye on the weather, and potentially take a more southerly route (even if longer).

For example:

I-95 to I-85 to I-40 to US 93 (or US 95). This minimizes mountain/snow/ice/cold weather driving. You still have to cross the Appalachians, and get through Flagstaff, etc., but that may beat the northern routes at certain times. I'd decide as close as possible to leaving (most accurate weather forecast), but then I don't mind not having "my itinerary" set until the last minute.

This also allows a much longer "but hey, if you have to you have to" dip down even further south if you need to at any point. You can almost always avoid snow on I-10

You could also cut down through the Appalachians on I-81 in the beginning, if the weather looks good there.

Of course I-80 or etc. might be perfectly fine and is more direct. That's why I'd wait to decide until as late as possible because it all depends on the weather - especially when you have a specific window you have to drive in (vs. going when the weather looks best). I'm from the Midwest and it seems like Thanksgiving weekend often has a snowstorm (natch). Of course not every year, but it sometimes used to seem like it!

Also, new rig.... just in case there are problems it's nicer to deal with them in warmer temps, I find.

Congrats on your new rig!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #6

If there is any chance that you will be crossing snow or icy conditions, make sure you have chains. I just got back from a trip to Oregon and my van spun out due to icy roads. Luckily I had some chains and was able to get to my destination, but without them, I would have been stuck. Also, driving 30mph with the constant grinding/vibrations of the chains sucks.