Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

Garage
What Are Your Best Cross Country Stops

We are beginning to think about making a cross country run from Southern California to visit a friend in New England. We are not exactly sure when we will go, but go we must! It might be this summer and it might be next. It could be anytime between May and August. We have lots of time and don't want to drive past places we should have stopped, though, we know we will. Being the overly analytical type, I can't start doing my homework too early.

Right now we are a 2WD SMB, though that will change, so don't forget to include destinations that require a 4WD delivery system.

What are the most awe inspiringly beautiful, the most photogenic, the most historically significant or the just plain coolest spots you have visited in the USA, or Canada for that matter? Any state, any province, off the beaten path, right near the interstate anywhere that we can visit. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one, so give it to me, I can take it.

Thanks in advance for your advise, opinions and interest!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #2

Re: What Are Your Best Cross Country Stops

Southwest Colorado is stellar and many, many worthwhile places to visit no matter your drive-train. Trust me on this.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:21 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

The best thing to is stop when you see something and just experience it. Utah Colorado you can not miss

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

So many places. Are you after unique NP's or remote spots away from people?

I'm surprised at the Dangerous Roads link I posted at the top of this section. It shows several nice places to see both off and on road adventures.

America's Byway's is another good link.

The America southwest is another fine site.

Many of us have blogs or web sites worth looking at also.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #5

Garage

Thanks guys. I needed to be more clear.

We have been camping for 35 years. I have a 4x4 Rrunner and spending a month camping in Colorado, Utah or the North West is our usual summer. Imogene and Engineer are the usual hang outs around Ouray. It is not uncommon for us to be looking for a place to watch the Stanley Cup Finals while on the road. Last year we were camping at Calf Creek and had to go into Escalante, UT to see the Kings/Rangers Game 3. I have spent tons of time in the south west. Yeah, we have been to Point Sublime on the North Rim, Yeah, we spent our anniversary in Yellowstone in one December, etc...

I am looking for specifics.

Places within the parks that might go unnoticed. Areas that are not obvious. Sites that I might have driven past 10 times and did not know that they were there. A friend told us about the Lava Tubes between Flagstaff and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, that lead to a 5 hour spelunking day with the kids, years ago that I will never forget. That is the kind of info that I know you have.

Lemme have it!
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks guys. I needed to be more clear....

I am looking for specifics....

Lemme have it!
Skyrat, There's a good chance you've seen many if not all these places, but these are some of my favorites over the past few years.

Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park

Crater Lake National Park

Multnomah Falls along the Columbia River Gorge, just east of Portland

There are many more spectacular falls next to the road, or along an easy hike.

White Sands National Monument

Carlsbad Cavern National Park

Sedona, AZ
View from the Sedona Overlook on Mount Wilson

View from the Bear Mountain Trail

Desert Critters in Anza Borrego State Park, CA

More desert critters here! http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...ers/_Page.html

Bryce Canyon National Park

Havasu Creek along the south rim of the Grand Canyon

Lots more pictures: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T..._Page0002.html

Monument Valley

The Berg Lake Trail to the Valley of 1000 Falls in Mt Robson Provincial Park, BC, Canada
Mt. Robson in early September

Valley of 1000 Falls

More photos from the Berg Lake Trail: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/R...son/_Page.html
Or from another hike there: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...son/_Page.html

The Icefield Parkway between Banff and Jasper in Alberta, Canada

More photos: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...way/_Page.html

Yoho National Park in BC, Canada, especially the Iceline Trail

Takakkaw Falls as seen from the Iceline Trail

More photos: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...oho/_Page.html

Spooky and Peek-a-Boo slot canyons near Escalante, UT

More photos: http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T...ots/_Page.html

Hope these have given you some ideas!

- Steve
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrat
Thanks guys. I needed to be more clear.

I am looking for specifics.

Places within the parks that might go unnoticed. Areas that are not obvious. Sites that I might have driven past 10 times and did not know that they were there.

Lemme have it!
Ouch it might be hard to open up the vault for those wishing to keep their places hidden to the masses

Most of my travels have been in CA and not too valuable to this thread. I too need those out of CA boon dock or unique spots bookmarked so I'll watch with great interest.

I thought Buffington Pockets was a nice drive and had a great spot to camp at outside Valley Of Fire.

Nevada's Lunar Crater was different and an interesting place to camp at.

You probably know of the unpaved trail along the Snake river in Teton NP. Nice drive.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

Obviously, major national parks are all worth a visit. So here are some less well known spots to see. We have enjoyed all of these more than once.

Ayers Natural Bridge Park, off I-25 near Douglas Wyoming. The only natural bridge with the carving water still flowing under it. Free Camping. No showers.

Off I-80 in Nebraska (both are worth seeing):

- Pioneer Village in Minden celebrates the prairie pioneers. Camping or motel available.
- Stuhr Museum in Grand Island.

Chaco Culture Park in northwest New Mexico. Camping available. Spend a couple of days to see it all.

Canyon de Chelly in northeast Arizona. Camping available. Take the ranger walk. Near Chaco Culture.

Lee's Ferry off US89 near Marble Canyon, AZ. Camping available. You can also stop in Page Arizona and take a float trip down the Colorado to Lee's Ferry.

Huntington, Indiana home of the original Sportsmobile plant. Say hi to Jim and Nancy.

Matthew Edel Blacksmith Shop, Haverhill, Iowa, 8-10 miles SW of Marshalltown. Complete. original blacksmith shop. My wife enjoyed it.

Theodore Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota. Visit the North Unit. Remote, quiet, beautiful. Buffaloe may wander through your campsite.

Coal mine tours in Gillette Wyoming. See the video: https://video.search.yahoo.com/video/pl ... hs-att_001

Have fun,

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #9

Garage

Quote:

Ouch it might be hard to open up the vault for those wishing to keep their places hidden to the masses

You probably know of the unpaved trail along the Snake river in Teton NP. Nice drive.

We were driving that road this June just after the transfer case went out on my 4Runner. The water was kind of night because of the June rain and snow there. My wife did not want to cross some of the side streams without 4wd so I reluctantly turned around. That is one if the main reasons I need 4wd on the SMB. I don't want to turn around because of a little water.

This is good though guys, thanks for sharing. I have never been to many of these. Thank you for your input! Keep em coming.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

Old 02-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #10

I'm cheatin' but...........Thanks Mike and Steve for several new ideas!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote