Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

host clearing house?

Does anyone know if there is a website where SMBers may post if they allow travelers to stay? Finding boondocking places out east is not always easy so we are interested in both knowing of places we may park our SMB overnight as well as allowing other SMBers to do likewise at our farm.

Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: host clearing house?

Interesting concept. I would think that if you were to post where you'd be traveling some members would offer up a place to stop at. But just to post up where you live and offer a place to stay on-line to a complete stranger or group might not be a good idea. At least we all seem to get to know members here through communication. I'd just be cautious.

You might end up with someone like Rallypanam and he'd drink up all your beers

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #3

Yes, good point. One can't be too careful.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:30 AM   #4

The bicycle touring community has a group called "Warm Showers" which has been around for years, Does exactly what you're asking. Seems like your idea is even a little more benign since all you want to do is park in a driveway. If you come to the Dallas Texas area AND bring a decent beer you can park at my house anytime.
oldbernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

Garage

i pitched an idea similar to this when i first joined to one of the mods, but was shot down for reasons like what dave posted, and i do agree they are valid concerns. a lot of members have a LOT of moola tied up in their rigs.

my idea was more of a life line kinda deal rather than a place to park though. more for those traveling through an area and running into mechanical problems and needing assistance. things like being able to point other members to reputable shops, pick and pull salvage yards, etc.

however, a combination of the two would be really cool. ive been hit up for info by other members visiting my area for things like specific places to eat, and close to town bike trails and i was happy to help. id also be down to help people just passing by if they needed a place to park as well. ive reached out to quite a few local members (as well as non local) and was well received which i really appreciated, so im happy to pay it forward.

maybe instead of listing out our personal info online, we could just have a thread with each state listed out and members in that area willing to lend a hand if possible. people in need can pm said member for info. if member has time and feels comfortable helping they can shoot person in need their phone number and see if something can be worked out.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Better me than DaveB! I'd only drink half your beer.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:

You guys are hilarious!! Happy and Lucky Friday the 13th!
Old 02-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Ha, we need to post places to stop at close to breweries

I do think that a thread about places to camp at close to where you live is very valid. I mean I don't have room at my place for another vehicle even if I know the member but there are several State Parks or Rec areas worth visiting. I have friends with property but the liability factor has to be thrown into the mix.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #9

I belong to the BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) and they publish a book (called the Anonymous) of members willing to help members. It lists members by location (i.e. 15m sw of Tulsa), services (KK - coffee and conversation; WS/WT - Workshop space/tools; etc, including camping space, spare bedroom, and more) and tel #. If you need help, you find someone near your location and call. I've used it a few times and have been turned down and been helped by others.

You don't know anyone's address until they give it out. That means you can meet someone in a public place before you let them into your private world. Fairly safe since the book is only given to members and you have the opportunity to say no.

Anyone want to host a similar site on their server? Maybe limited to supporting members?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

You might look into this: Boondockers Welcome - Be My Guest RV Parking.

http://www.boondockerswelcome.com

Janna
JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote