Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Moab 4x4 trails, Mtn. Bike Trails and Camping?

Working on a Moab trip. I am looking to overnight camp on the Mtn Bike Trails and off road trails up there. It's been 20 years since I have ridden up there and like to find some good trails that I can do all of the above on.

Ideally find a few good 4x4 trails to camp on and ride from.

Thoughts/info?

The http://www.discovermoab.com website has great info but not seeing a good reference on doing all of the above on the same trails.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Moab 4x4 trails, Mtn. Bike Trails and Camping?

They are so many places there, difficult to advice only one or two... Don't forget to go to the LaSal Mountains, it's worth it!
Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 PM   #3

How about start with 2-3 Claude....lol...

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

If you decide to head up to Island in the Sky and ride the new loops near Deadhorse Point consider taking your rig up Long Canyon to Pucker Pass from the Colorado River side.

I'd hit up the 4x4 sites for specific off-roading opportunities. Elephant Hill a bit to the south in the Needles District would qualify as a 4x4 trail. The classic loop is White Rim trail but only a few spots really qualify as 4x4. The jeepers are big on Poison Spider Mesa, Gold Bar Rim, and of course the whale back near slickrock trail.

I find slickrock trail a bit underwhelming but it's worth doing once for sure. It's pretty unique.

As for mountain biking there is a ton but it would be helpful to know your skill level and fitness. I doubt you'd have fun on MAG7 or Amasa Back if you are not an expert rider with a penchant for exposure. Moab is very unforgiving on bikes, gear, and the un-prepared. Lots of info here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/moab-trip-p ... 90326.html
http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-moab.htm
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Garage

Plenty of great camping off the Willow Springs road. Also super close to the Bar M trail system, the Sovereign trails and the Mag 7 network. It's only 10 mins north of town. You can also drive out the 'back way' into Arches from there. Enjoy!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
Plenty of great camping off the Willow Springs road. Also super close to the Bar M trail system, the Sovereign trails and the Mag 7 network. It's only 10 mins north of town. You can also drive out the 'back way' into Arches from there. Enjoy!
This^^^. But really busy on a weekend. With the lack of snow in the Wasatch and CO even more so.

The newish Capt Ahab is an awesome modern flow-trail on Amasa Back. The camping is so-so and highly restricted but if you push back further along Kane Springs Rd or even up to Hurrah Pass you'll find spots.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #7

Since nobody has yet mentioned porcupine rim, this one is a "must do" pretty much every time I get out there.

The old Porcupine Rim trail started on sand flats road just above the slick rock trail. Now there are two additional upper sections that are IMHO better than the original PR. The top section is called burro and the next entry point below that is called hazard. You can probably get the van to the burro trailhead; I could not get up there with my 2WD element on my last ride there. Lots of remote camping spots up there as well. The hazard trailhead is readily accessible with 2WD no problem.

Starting from burro or hazard trail heads begins with trees and high elevation and beautiful views of castle valley; the lower section of Porcupine Rim is fast rocky desert terrain ending with some challenging stuff in Negro Bill canyon on the 128 at the colorado river.

There are lots of great primative camping sites along highway 128 like Hal Canyon, etc.

The entire Porcupine rim loop (from town I believe) is called the "whole enchilada". The trail is well marked, with the upper sections also using part of the kokepelli trail as well.

NOTE: Unless you are an expert hammerhead willing to ride a 40+ mile loop, this is a shuttle ride. There are several shuttles in town to take you to either hazard or burro trail heads if you are camped/parked down at the river. (this is how I usually do it, ride back to camp when camping on the 128).
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #8

Garage

Just be aware if you want to ride Porcupine - it'll be awhile before UPS/LPS, Hazard County and The Whole Enchilada from Burro Pass will be rideable and free of snow/mud. Plan on mid-late Apr at least for Hazard County down and July for the Whole Enchilada from Burro. Stellar campsite to be found near top of LPS...
Old 02-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the local knowledge Alta! If PR isn't my favorite trail, it's in my top three......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder
Thanks for the local knowledge Alta! If PR isn't my favorite trail, it's in my top three......
Maybe I'm getting old but I find PR a beat-down even with 5" of full squish and not really that compelling unless it's combined with the higher elevation stuff. Dropping 7,000' and riding through the different elevation/vegetation zones makes it more of a full meal deal and truly unique. I've done a similar type ride in the Abajos and ending at Newspaper Rock if anyone wants the beta on that one.

On a side note, the builder of LPS was recently banned (again) from the Coconino, Prescott, and Kaibab National Forests for illegal trail building in Sedona. But boy-o he sure has built some good ones.