Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #1

Scenic drive suggestions for Sequoia to Redwoods

I am planning a trip for the spring from Sequoia to Jedediah Smith in the Redwood forest. I am from a farm family so I would like to take in the valley where all the produce is grown as well as the citrus groves and vineyards. We are looking for some scenic drives that aren't at interstate speeds. Our plan is to leave Sequoia thru Visalia and catch Golden State Hwy (99) north to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 29 north thru Napa to Hwy 128 follow it over to 101 and on up to Redwoods.
My concerns is Hwy 99 will be much like interstate driving. Is this a major Hwy with a million cars running 80 Mph and a prius in the fast lane (No offense but it seems like every time I go out west there is always a prius that has to be in front of me)?
My time frame is 2 days so I could use some suggestions on a good place to stay that is about half way. We were thinking somewhere around Napa.
I am sure I will have more Questions as the trip comes together but THANKS for now
Jim

4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

Re: Scenic drive suggestions for Sequoia to Redwoods

About halfway through my last summer trip you can see a few things we did in that area. No shortage of things to do or see!

viewtopic.php?p=132869#p132869

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM   #3

Oh yeah I followed that magnificent journey! As usual I was jealous of all the off-roading everyone on here gets to do but me. Maybe someday I will get around to building a van to explore the wild side in. As for now its campgrounds and payment for me .
We are doing very similar route just a little further south. I just don't know much about the California part especially the valley. I don't want to wind up setting in traffic on the interstate for hours when I could be soaking up scenery that we don't get to see around here.
After todays planning I am pretty happy with everything except Hwy 99 I Just need to know if it is an easy drive or a raceway.
Thanks
Jim
Old 03-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #4

Hwy. 99 is a freeway and not at all scenic. Where are you starting? I am near Fresno and can give you tips on farming areas. If you start in Visalia you can drive through Sequoia and the Kings Canyon National Parks and lots of tree fruit orchards as you come down the hill from the parks. Most row crop farms around there are small. Way further west are the big farms, but fewer because of the drought. Let me know if you want more details.
daytona323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks Daytona
We are doing the Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia before this leg of the journey. We will be leaving Lodgepole and heading out through Visalia up to the redwoods then down Hwy 1 to Point Reyes and then Big Sur to L.A. So I would like to find a nice rural drive up the valley to Napa. I think that part of the route (29/128)will be nice.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #6

Highway 99 is now a freeway but was once just a two-lane state highway. It is very ugly! You'd be better off taking Highway 198 west from Visalia and then taking I-5 north. I-5 isn't bad...trucks clog the "slow" lane and the speed limit is 70 mph in the fast lane. Trucks occassionally pass each other using the fast lane but everyone tends to work together to keep things moving. It is just about solid almond groves and some grapes from 198 to Tracy. If you continue on I-5 toward Stockton (back to ugly), you can get to Highway 12 north of Stockton.

North of Napa is Bothe-Napa Valley State Park. We've stayed there a couple of times. Quiet (at least when we were there). If you know when you will arrive, you can make reservations online through the California State Park system.

When you are back south down Highway 1, plan to visit Mendocino. Neat little town with nice shops and places to eat, right on the cliffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. There is a state park just south of town called Van Damme State Park which can also be reserved in advance. If you want to not tie yourself down but the park sites are full, there is overflow parking/camping on the beach side of the highway across from the state park.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
I am planning a trip for the spring from Sequoia to Jedediah Smith in the Redwood forest. I am from a farm family so I would like to take in the valley where all the produce is grown as well as the citrus groves and vineyards. We are looking for some scenic drives that aren't at interstate speeds. Our plan is to leave Sequoia thru Visalia and catch Golden State Hwy (99) north to Hwy 12 west to Hwy 29 north thru Napa to Hwy 128 follow it over to 101 and on up to Redwoods.
My concerns is Hwy 99 will be much like interstate driving. Is this a major Hwy with a million cars running 80 Mph and a prius in the fast lane (No offense but it seems like every time I go out west there is always a prius that has to be in front of me)?
My time frame is 2 days so I could use some suggestions on a good place to stay that is about half way. We were thinking somewhere around Napa.
I am sure I will have more Questions as the trip comes together but THANKS for now
Jim
So you're going straight from Visalia to Napa? That's a pretty long haul. I'd suggest 198 west out of Visalia to I-5 then a short hop to highway 33. Highway 33 is a old highway that was replaced by I-5 and although it's slower due to stops in some of the valley's smaller towns it runs through, you can still clip along at 55MPH and make some time. You can also leave 198 at 269 and go north to 145. Then take S Colorado to San Joaquin and over to Mendota. Once back on 33 you travel north to Dos Palos. Once you go through Dos Palos you hit 152 to Los Banos and 165. If you want to take a scenic drive through the wetlands, just north of Los Banos on 165 is Santa Fe Grade road. It's not paved but a very nice drive (just stay on the road) and take it until it hits highway 140. From there you can go west a short distance and pick up 33 again. You can skip SF grade road and pick up 33 just w/o Los Banos. Ignomar Grade road to the town of Volta out of Los Banos is a reasonable road back to 33 as well. From there 33 will take you to Tracy. The delta area kind of stops you a bit but J-4 is a ok hop to 160 to 12 or just hit 4.
There are more scenic drives e/o 99 but you'd be running all over the place picking up small roads to zig zag your way towards highway 12.

Highway 49 is a cool route but it's in the foothills and windy. You'll also eat up a lot of fuel.

BTW if your looking for a OK spot to eat, in Los Banos the Wool Growers is a... well unique place to eat. Read the reviews cause it might not be for all.

Like Jack said, I-5 isn't bad but if you want to feel like you're more out in the sticks 33 is the way to go.

Attached Thumbnails
delta.JPG   33.JPG   Los Banos.JPG   198 to 33.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #8

Thanks Dave
That looks like a great route. 55 is just my speed and I love to see those small towns. From looking at the satellite view it appears like a good mix of orchard, vegetable and row crops which is perfect. I will check the restaurant out if we are in that area at meal time
Thanks again
Jim
Old 03-08-2015, 10:16 PM   #9

Wow Dave! I've lived in the Central Valley my whole life and I'd hire you as my tour director. Nice job providing a route that will highlight the diversity of crops we grow in these parts.
Driveabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 AM   #10

As Dave the tour guide says, its a long haul. Not much time if you want to take in the sites between Sequoia and the Smith River. There is a lot to see if your are a first time visitor. As YVRR mentioned, Mendocino is very nice but you can spend a day there easy. If you go, just stay on Hwy 1 all the way up to Leggett. Once back on 101, make sure you take the avenue of the Giants just north of Garberville. (Its listed on the map as Hwy 254) Stay on it all the way to Pepperwood. It will give you great views of the big trees and allow you to pull over to make stops at all the groves without bothering those darn Prius drivers. Tons of other things to see but not with only two days. Once you get into Mendocino and Humboldt Counties, there are lots of State Park campgrounds along the way if you want to extend out the drive.

My advice ... beeline out of the Central Valley and spend more time on the North Coast.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote