Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2015, 03:39 PM   #1

Sedona/Flagstaff

We are headed to Sedona/Flagstaff area in early April. Hoping to do some mtn biking, hiking with the fam.

Any camping/boondocking suggests down there?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #2

Re: Sedona/Flagstaff

Flagstaff is still pretty wet and there is snow above 7500' on most trails but the lower elevation stuff is mostly dry. Unless we get another winter storm (what is the chance of that?) most everything should be open by April.

There's lots of dispersed camping off Schultz Pass Rd with great proximity to many trails. However, most FS roads will still be closed. Check here for updates: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/ ... rdb5339811

Otherwise, there is good boon docking and easy access to the Fort Valley Trail network from the western TH located of FS 164B. It is open to the TH and a bit further past and there is lots of easy camping. If the gate is open there is even better dispersed camping off FS9002. Friedlien Prairie Rd will still be closed as well most good camping in the aspens off of Hart Prairie Rd or FS418.

As for Sedona, the primo camp spot is at the top of Schnebly Hill Rd. It's a bit rugged and can be muddy getting in there but the view is the shizzle. The dh on the Munds Wagon trail is pretty good too and you can hook it up with Hangover. https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8658925 ... !1e3?hl=en

Most campgrounds in Oak Creek Canyon are still closed. IMO, here are the best locations for dispersed camping in the Sedona area. https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... O5V2yvdDCU

It's more difficult to camp in Sedona with easy access to trails that are fun to ride. If you need an easy water fill-up you are more than welcome to stop by mi casa. I live across the street from Elden Lookout Rd and Schultz Creek. I'll be around in April except for easter weekend.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

This the spot on Schnebly hill
Attached Thumbnails
541077_4395645663132_1620678965_n.jpg  

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #4

Thanks for all the great intel!

This will be my first trip to Sedona. I spend a lot of time in Moab. Sounds like Sedona is a bit like Moab. Moab can get so crowded during peak weekends that the forest service has essentially banned dispersed camping anywhere near town. I looked at the Sedona MVUM and doesn't look like a lot of options near town.

We will be down there Easter weekend and the week following. I am considering maybe spending a bit more time in Flagstaff (maybe Easter weekend) and then heading down to Sedona once things thin out a bit during the week.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #5

Besides the scale the main difference between Sedona and Moab is that in the former the trails are "in" town and for the most part, in Moab, the trails are outside of town. Sedona is more urban but has(had) more singletrack. Moab and Trailmix has changed that in the last couple of years.

March is really busy in Sedona but starts calming down in April.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

We are debating whether to bring the dogs. We have two. One is in the 140lbs range.

Any thoughts on the dog friendliness of Sedona?
Old 03-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #7

You will find Flagstaff far more dog friendly than Sedona, especially if they are off-leash. There are a ton of hikers on the trails in Sedona. Flagstaff not so much with the exception of Schultz Creek. On-leash no problem but that kinda sucks for riding.

I'm not sure I would take a dog on trails like HiLine or Hangover. But I wouldn't take my kids either. I'm specifically referring to biking.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #8

Better check with Forest service regards boondocking around Sedona. We were there last October and virtually everything was closed due to last summer's fires. Around Flagstaff I recommend doing the Sunset Crater/ Wuptaki ruins loop. You can disperse camp across the highway from the Sunset Crater exit. There is also a very popular OHV park nearby.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Better check with Forest service regards boondocking around Sedona. We were there last October and virtually everything was closed due to last summer's fires. Around Flagstaff I recommend doing the Sunset Crater/ Wuptaki ruins loop. You can disperse camp across the highway from the Sunset Crater exit. There is also a very popular OHV park nearby.
The closure was strictly in Oak Creek Canyon. It's all open now.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #10

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it was also dispersed camping. How could it hurt to check and this would apply to anywhere a person would be planning to go. The Forest service is getting very whimsical lately.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote