Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Summer trip planning, CO/AZ/UT/WY

Greetings all, starting to plan our summer trip this year and looking for a few pointers. My wife and I celebrated our 20th this past November and her wish was for a trip to two of our favorite areas (Zion and the Tetons) without the kids. Work schedule means it had to wait until this summer.

The plan so far is to not do much planning, and just to head west, not too different from our usual trips. Here's what I have so far, and it's a very rough estimate of what we'd like to do. I realize many of you will say SLOW DOWN, but we usually like to cover a lot of ground when we travel. We rarely stay in one place two nights. We have 16 days to explore this year.

Days 1/2: Home to Denver area
Day 3: Resupply, refresh and probably head West across 50 to the Gunnison area.
Day 4: Explore around Ouray/Silverton.
Day 5: Go over Imogene Pass to Telluride. Big off-road loop day.
Day 6: Head down to Durango.
Day 7: Keep rolling west to Monument Valley maybe, or see some things we haven't North of there, such as Natural Bridges or more of the south side of Canyonlands. I could use some input here. There are lots of possibilities and we could certainly slow down in this area. I know The Wave, Antelope Canyons and other cool stuff are in this area but not sure about the lotteries in Summer. Claude, just tell us where to go and point the camera.
Day 8,9: Zion, Bryce area hiking and exploring, though our love of Zion may keep us there only and for longer.
Day 10/11: Start north towards Jackson. We plan on taking 89 up to about Park City and branching off east into the Uinta/Wasatch mountains for a quick tour. Thanks Macmcintire!
Day 12/13/14: Spend in the Tetons. Hike and explore.
Day 15/16: Head home. I'd really love to run up the east side of Yellowstone, no reason to spend much time there, and do the Beartooth Hwy out of the Northeast entrance. This idea may be a stretch for this trip as it only adds to our driving time home. We will more than likely just slow down a bit more in the Tetons and take 287 to 80 east to home.

Thanks for any input.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

Re: Summer trip planning, CO/AZ/UT/WY

When? I'll be in CO mid-August bumming around for a few weeks...
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Sounds like we have ourselves a potential for a CO meetup, Eric, you could just do a drive by, and to get Jeremiah and Kim we'd have to go to them, sounds like we've got our location, Jage's driveway![emoji12]....we're around in Aug.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
Site Team

You will enjoy the Scenic Byway 150 through the Uinta Mountains. You can camp in the Uintas if you want or just drive through the beautiful scenic loop. Too bad we won't be still living in Wyoming when you pass through. We are moving back to Vegas in June. Otherwise we would have enjoyed a picnic with you in the Uintas. Have a a great trip!
Old 05-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Garage

We're minutes outside of PC and have spent tons of time in the Uintas, holler for suggestions. Some great camp options heading up towards 150 via Duchesnes Ridge/Lake Creek and if you're into fly fishing the Middle Provo is not too be missed... Great sounding loop you have planned!
Old 05-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
When? I'll be in CO mid-August bumming around for a few weeks...
I'm planning to head to the Silverton area and/or Crested Butte in early September to explore some of the mountain passes. I've cataloged all the roads in the Western US from DangerousRoads.org http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa.html and there are a number of them in that area on my list. Would be more fun with some other SMBers if anyone can make it in that timeframe!
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #7

Thanks all. Noted on the whats and whens. I'll be expanding on this as it gets closer, but we'll be a little earlier than a couple of you I'm afraid. Our dates are mid June through about July 4th. I hate to travel around July 4th but it has to be.

I'll probably be in Denver or Co. Springs (or Jage's driveway ) about June 20th. Oh, don't worry Jage, I'll ask of course. You might be busy. You might tell me to go off myself, but see, you have babies and I'll be with a female who really, really likes babies, so we'll probably drop in at least if it's ok.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #8

Those dates totally don't work for me. Maybe you could change your whole vacation plan?
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Those dates totally don't work for me. Maybe you could change your whole vacation plan?
Rob, I always appreciate how you think like me. That said.......you first.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #10

While in the Zion area....I have two suggestions:

Spend a night camped atop Gooseberry Mesa on the North Rim side of the mesa.....Incredible views of Zion.

Spend a night on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. There are quite a few really great viewpoints that you can drive to/camp near.
BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote