Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #1

Heading to Madison Rvr and Yellowstone

We'll be off in June/July to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado soon for fishing and general fun. Any recommendations for boondocks sites or campgrounds, close to the Madison river or outside of Yellowstone?

littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Heading to Madison Rvr and Yellowstone

Wish I could help! I've never stopped and explored the area West of Yellowstone. As you come into West Yellowstone from Idaho, there are Madison River sportsmen's accesses. I've seen the signs but have never stopped. Always anxious to get into the Park! Don't know what you might find down some of those access points. It's a popular trout river so I'd imagine there would be plenty of information on the area and fishing.

Sorry I can't help with more info.

Mike
Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #3

Garage

If you want to stay in the Park, you can camp at Madison Campground. It's a very large campground (read, lots of people) but it has easy access to the Madison and Fire Hole rivers. You can walk from the campground to the Madison and the Fire Hole river empties into the Madison right there also.
If you want any information on Yellowstone Park in general, PM me, I be glad to help.

Mike
Old 06-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #4

If outside of the park there are some good spots that are more secluded on the West Fork of the Madison. Another neat area near the Upper Madison are Cliff and Wade Lake (won't be alone here though). The lakes are beautiful but can get crowded that time of year. Also some campgrounds over by Quake Lake.

Can't help much within the park as we always camp outside and then day trip in.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #5

Thanks for the helpful replies. We've stayed in fishermen's access spots in Colo. and they were great. I'll be fishing the Madison, so it should work well. I think we'll day trip into the park. Just want to see a few features I haven't seen since I was 8! We're off soon and will post when we return. Happy travels everyone.
littleboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

If you pass through Virginia City, check in with my friend Jerry Schildroth. He's a fishing guide and may have ideas for you. Let me know if your interested in contact info.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote