Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #1

Garage
boise area meetup thread...anyone wanna go camping?

edit: changing the title in this to an ongoing boise area meetup thread. would be nice to meetup with some of the other local van owners. ill post up where we plan on going more in advance when possible. that way if other locals decide they wanna be social it will be easy to do so

for anyone heading up to areas where ive posted about we always hang up a cool ranc doritos bag outside of camp so our friends know how to find us. its a lot easier than paper plates with itty bitty writing on them and the bags double as a holder for notes if where we are is tricky to find.

look forward to crossing paths with any of the other local van owners!

short notice, but wife has to work and everyone else is being a sally. thinking about getting out anyway and seeing if any locals wanna meet up. game for camping most anywhere other than up highway 55. im just not willing to deal with the traffic on that road.

thinking about heading towards featherville and checking out some trails along the southfork of the boise. any takers?? post up or pm

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #2

Garage
Re: anyone around the boise area wanna meetup this weekend?

Sounds fun shenrie, I'd like to see you again, but company has an annual trap shoot this weekend so will be shooting clays.
Maybe another time.

Mike
Old 07-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #3

Garage

np mike. have fun killing clays i was thinking about you actually when i posted. i remember you expressing some interest about this area a while back. likely a 4+ hour drive from poky though. if you ever wanna meetup let us know. would love to share a campfire with ya and im sure my wife would love to pic your brain about photography. she loves seeing your trip reports just as much as the rest of the forum

might have rounded up one buddy for this weekend. he just converted a van with a 4" ujoint setup. except hes wanting to head up to trinity lakes for some paddleboarding, which i would have no problems with. hopefully he gets back to me and doesnt get sucked into working
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 07-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Sounds like a blast. My weekend has already filled up however. I'll try to be ready for next time though.
ldeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #5

Garage

^^^ np. trip was pretty fun and weather was perfect! other van buddy never got back to me, but had another couple hit me up last second and wanted to try a new place. they showed up right about dark after getting a touch lost...

camp friday night.

from across the river.

my friends slaying them fishes...

kind of hard to tell from my cell pic, but the water on the southfork is very clear.

while my friends were fishing i started wandering back to camp. a killdeer was going off, so i thought id try to find its nest. never did find it, but i must have got close as i saw this little guy come running out from under my feet. was a fast little sucker and wasnt afraid of the river at all. jumped right in, lol.

ps, excuse mah dirtyass nails, was camping n'stuff, lol.

also had a small run in with a bear. was by myself and decided to take a quick jaunt up a trail on the motorbike. about a mile up the trail i saw a small straightaway and gave it some juice. there was one big bush i couldnt see around and sure enough, right as i got to it a 4' round bear came bolting out from behind it. opposite direction, but still scared the hell outta me. i knew it was a youngster, so as i was throttling away from it hoping i hadnt pissed off mama. i would have sworn i saw mama bolting at me in my peripheral vision and i got on the gas. sure as shit, the trail got super tight and i was still on street tires and getting no traction. i did my best to stay on trail the entire time trying to look over my shoulder thinking to myself that NO ONE knows where i am atm and i really needed to get away, lol. well turns out there was nothing chasing me, but i didnt know and i wasnt taking a chance. i wish i had a video of it, i can only imagine how funny the while situation looked...

on the way home i decided to check out a small road i had never been down. was really glad i did as i stumbled onto a small version of city of rocks. heres a few pix from my shortcut.

will definitely be heading back to this little area. not sure if camping is ok back in there, but want to spend a little more time looking around and getting some more pix.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #6

Garage
Re: boise area meetup thread...anyone wanna go camping?

realized this weekend will be my last chance to get out for a few weeks as crap has been planned for me. wife is working...again and sounds like most everyone in my regular group has honeydos and cant get away. i will be going somewhere this weekend, just not sure where yet. anyone want to meetup?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

We are hoping to go out this weekend too. However, our van is in the shop again. Having issues with batteries keeping a charge. Hopefully we'll get it back tomorrow. Would love to meet up. Let us know where you end up going.

Kelly & Becky
Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

Great thread, Shenrie! Hopefully I can make it work one of these times, lol. Sorry I've been so busy!

Dan
Home built interior(soon to come)
Gonejpn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #9

Garage

^^^ no worries dan, we will cross paths eventually.

never heard from kelly and becky. hopefully you guys got your van up and going.

also got some good news, wife finally got a schedule that works with mine. we are now both m-f 6ish am to 2ish pm worker bees. shes been working 4-10's, 8am to 7pm m-w & sat. it sucked...for me anyway this will help our camping immensely over the next 6 months, lol.

a few pix from my last camp trip i posted up here about. went solo, but really enjoyed my weekend. did a lot of riding. found some great camp spots too! heres a few pix from the trip.

back side of the sawtooths peeking at me.

nice simple camp.

area was bursting with huckleberry, this bush was in my camp.

camp from the van.

the hotsprings just up the road from camp these are amazing springs...

upper southfork of the payette river from camp. water was great. crystal clear and not super cold.

past the hotsprings is the sawtoth lodge.

another view of the backside of the sawtooths from the lodge parkinglot.

a view from wapiti trail. there were quite a few people back on this trail killing it with huckleberries. leaving with buckets full...
Old 08-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
Dia

Gorgeous! Huckleberries, hot springs, a river - what more could anyone want?