Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

Canadian Bears

We are departing for a trans-Canada trip tomorrow and will be staying in national and provincial parks. Yesterday I ran across several posts warning people in soft-sided campers about the danger of having any kind of food in their camper. That really got my attention! It isn't hard to imagine a bear tearing into my penthouse. So I am wondering how one camps in Canada with a SMB? If I take the warnings seriously, we won't be able to carry any food and we might even be wise to not use the penthouse at night. So, I need advice. I have read several trip reports on Canada and Alaska and no one mentioned bear-proofing measures. I don't want to be a worry-wart, but I don't want to be stupid, either.

cpbland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Canadian Bears

Bears can be an issue even in campgrounds. Check in with each campground host about bear frequency and use the food lockers if they are there. I think the penthouse it high enough off the ground to be relatively safe, but no guarantees. Remember, we are guests in the bear's home.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #3

See reply in CAMPFIRE.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

My wife and I did the Depmster last August/September...we went all the way up to Inuvik. GREAT trip/road. Yes we did see around 10-12 separate sightings of bears (mostly Grizz). We boon-docked on the road two nights and spent one night in a campsite. Though the bears walked on the road by us during morning coffee, they are WAYYY more interested in finding berries to eat. We did not raise the roof those nights (though)...it was cold and we fit on the Goucho well...have the furnace and were set...I don't think I would worry too much about them tearing into your 6-foot plus top canvas...pretty tall order for them, to waste the energy or even try...BUT worst case scenario (and) by then you could be pushing the panic button on your fob to scare them away...or drive off a bit if that doesn't work...the Dempster bears are not as exposed to garbage/campers as others closer to cities/civilization...I say take it and enjoy! Note; last year the last 1/3 of the Dempster to Inuvik was DUSTY!!! I even 'dustoplaned' on some puddles of dust (NEVER, even on Iowa gravel have experienced that!) So we decided we would probably only go to the second ferry, then campground (name escapes my memory right now) next time...two Campgrounds around Dawson...either one OK...other side of Yukon river we are going for next time...Now if you're talking Nova Scotia,Newfoundland, Quebec-Gaspe Park (were the St. Lawrence Seaway starts)...that's another story...much less bear action, but more exposure to public garbage...HAVE FUN AND DON"T WORRY ABOUT IT TOO MUCH!! Like you said, prepared, but not stupid!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1118.jpg   IMG_9123.jpg   IMG_9114.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #5

Hi,

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... e-animals/

Regards,

Gavin
Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #6
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr
Greaat Article! Another reason to get out there!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote