Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #1

Vancouver Island

We are planning a trip to explore Vancouver Island in early September. We will be spending 2-3 weeks on the island and I am looking for input on places to see or remote camping spots.

Thanks
John

Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM   #2

I think there was another post about this recently but for sure visit Victoria and Bouchart Garden. I stayed one night in Victoria and while not remote at all, there is an excellent campground right on the water in the harbor. If interested let me know and I will look up the name of the place. Beautiful spot and close to town.

steve

PS if you come by ferry from Port Angeles like I did, prepare for a possible search of the SMB. They searched my van for 45 minutes and asked me alot of questions, but I was alone and going into Canada for more than 3 weeks. They searched everything including my Porta Pottie and small boxes. Only things they didn't search were my safe that says gun safe all over it, or my Yakima rooftop box. Go figure.
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #3

I've camped on the water in Victoria too, such a beautiful area.. but it's been like 10 years.. so who knows if the place is still there or if i could even remember where it was Have fun on your trip.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM   #4

Thank for the suggestions. We have been to Victoria before and probably won't be stopping there this trip. We are looking for suggestions for points North of Victoria.

Thanks
John
Old 08-16-2008, 05:29 PM   #5

Not me

John,

I haven't got any recommendations for you but I would like you to take good notes when you go:-)

It is on our plans for the winter and we could use the pointers.

Have a good trip.

Off topic: I'd like to have a PNW get together in the fall so we can catch up on everyone's trips. I missed the last one and I'd like to meet the others in the area.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 AM   #6

Ok, here is what I learned on Vancouver Island. It will probably take a couple of posts for me to get this all down.

I will start with a few observations about Vancouver Island. Fill up your tank before entering Canada, especially if you leave from Anacortes. Most of our fuel is refined in Anacortes and it has the cheapest fuel in the State. When I was up there in Mid September I filled up for $4.12 per gallon. Fuel in Canada is very expensive and since it has to be trucked to Vancouver Island it is really expensive there. It was 1.45 per liter, at 3.78 liters per gallon, that is $5.48 Canadian which works out to $5.04 per gallon US. Oh, for all of you smug V-10 owners you will suffer with us diesel heads because regular is the same cost as diesel.

You will also want to have a strategy for dealing with bears, there are a lot of them on the island, and we saw 6t hem in 2 1/2 weeks, one of them a mother with cubs. Thankfully were were driving at the time. You will mostly encounter black bears, but we talked with a logger who said his crew has seen 7 Grizzlys this summer. They are very good swimmers and have been coming over from the mainland. We brought bear spray which you can take across the boarder as long as it is the large size. Small mace size sprays will be confiscated. We also kept the key fob close at hand, our thinking was that setting the alarm off would probably send any bear running.

The weather on Vancouver Island is very cool even in the summer and rain is possible in any season, so take plenty of warm clothes. In general the West side is wetter and cooler than the East and the North end is much cooler than the South end. Even in early September on the north end of the island the temperatures were in the low 60's durring the day and dipped to the low 40's at night. Thank god for the Espar!

You will be doing a lot of driving on logging roads so have a tire plug kit and compressor. We had a rock puncture on our first day and it is much easier to plug a tire than change it on a Sportsmobile. Of course this was our only flat and it was also the only day it poured down rain. Welcome to Vancouver Island!

Good maps are a must. Their logging roads are well market but unfortunately for us neither of the maps we had were marked with the names used by the logging companies. We learned that Western Forrest Products produces a good map of all of the logging roads. We saw one for the north end of the island at a campground and I will definetly try to get my hands on one of these before heading up again. We were very happy to have our GPS, Delorme 2008 Street Atlas on a tablet PC, this showed even the smallest logging roads, and for all of you that have a GPS unit I have coordinates for all but one of the campsites we stayed at. I will cover these in my next post.

Most of the logging roads are private industrial road and are open to the public but you are expected to yeild to commerical traffic. Their logging trucks are 100 ton off road rigs. They are HUGE! The tractors look like something out of Mad Max and the trailers are 16" wide. Usually in the Sportsmobile we are fairly level with tractor trailer rigs but these guys will be looking down on you. If you encouter one of them on the road you will be backing up until you come to a intersection of turn out, so be prepared. They also expect you to back up at a fair clip, not always easy in a vehicle with as many blind spots as ours, and will bear down on you if they feel you aren't moving fast enough. You can usually spot the roads they are working on because they have very well defined turn outs about every 1000 meters.

The first thing we had to do was figure out how we were going to get onto the island. There are a number of ferries that leave from different locations. There is one from Port Angeles, not real practical from Seattle, one from Anacotes, then two in BC at Tsawwassen and another just North of Vancouver at Horseshoe Bay.

We ended up coming home on the Anacotes Ferry which only runs twice per day. The advantage of this ferry is that the boarder crossing is quick because you only have to clear through with the people on your boat. They off loaded the overheight vehicles first so we cleared customs in about 10 minutes.

On the way up we took the Tsawwassen ferry because it has more sailings, which worked better with our schedule. Because we played in the championsips for our 4's sand volleyball leauge, we ended up leaving Seattle at around 9:30 and reached the boder at approx. 12:30, pulled right up to the booth and were across in minutes. We got in line slept for 4 hours, boarded the 5:15 boat and went back to sleep for the 2 hour crossing. It really wasn't a bad way to do it and it definetly beats a 2 hour wait at the border. Just outside of Nanaimo we stop on the side of the road and made breakfast and coffee. Did I mention we love our Sportsmobile!

To Be Continued...

John
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 AM   #7

Garage

Wow, this is great info... thanks so much for posting. My wife and I have had a Vancouver Island adventure on our list since we first met. Based on your comments about the bears she is very glad that we did not go boonedocking with our motorcycle.

Cheers,
---TWOLOST---

Cheers,
---Bruce--- (epic-exposure.com/albums/adventure/)
twolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #8

Twolost,

My wife also has "bear fobia" and withouth the van I would never have been able to get her to agree to a camping trip in bear country.

John
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
That's great info, thanks. We've been to Victoria, like everyone from Seattle I think. We've only gotten a small tatse of the rest of the island. It was enough that we plan on spending a good chunk of time exploring when we get the chance. The write up helps a lot.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #10

A nice informative post. Thanks for making the effort.

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote