Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #1

Island Beach State Park, NJ

One of the local "camping" spots that I had on my radar when dreaming of a 4WD rig was Island Beach State Park down on the 'Jersey shore. Beach access with the proper 4WD vehicle is available year round for a annual fee of $195 or a $75 three-day pass.

Since the annual pass is Jan-Dec, we opted to buy a three-day for the inaugural trip to see if this was something we wanted to do again come next year. The caveat to the beach access is that anyone over 18 must be fishing... the entire time. This means that if you are on the beach through the night, you must have a "pole in the water". Obviously the rangers don't check every 30 minutes on the hour, but you never know when they'll stop by. I've been before and was asleep by 10pm and wasn't hassled, but have heard they will check, especially during the summer months, up until midnight or later. Fortunately for us, even though I did fish until 1am, we were never hassled by the rangers.

Here's a sat clip of the location

IBSP by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

There are a handful of access points, but for this trip I opted to drive all the way to the last access point, knowing that the sand was a bit firmer down this way and that my wife & daughter might get a kick out of seeing the light house.

Unfortunately we got a late start, so we didn't arrive until almost dusk. We stopped here to air down to 25psi.

IMG_9332 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

First order of business was starting the fire before it got too dark. No, I'm not ashamed to use lighter fluid. I've been able to start fires naturally since I was a kid, but then I swallowed my pride and go tthem much hotter, much faster with an accelerant.

IMG_9341 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

Correction, first order of business, find shells

IMG_9345 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

Wow, what a night. No moon, just clear, crisp, ocean skies. I remember as a kid often being out in the desert and seeing the night skies shine - to the point you could see satellites pass overhead, but I never remember being able to see what looked to be nebula or whatever the clouds in space are called. Obviously the photos don't do it justice, but wow.

IMG_9352 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9354 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9360 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

That night I caught two bass and two sand sharks... they were this < > big. Although I have nothing to show for it.

The next day proved to be very... uneventful. Lot's of clever fish out there in the water, but no action all day. No matter, it was gorgeous - we planned for cold shore breezes, but were treated with a nice 70 degree day on the beach.

I took this photo to send to my mom. This was my dad's reel (labeled "Bill") - the reel on the other rod was my mom's (labeled Don for Ladonna). I believe these reels predate me. Either late 60's or very early 70's. Worked perfectly fine. Glad to be able to introduce my wife and daughter to something that I have very fond memories of.

IMG_9361 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9366 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9367 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9379 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9382 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9385 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9396 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9438 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr
IMG_9447 by Joseph Stampfl, on Flickr

We'll be back.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Island Beach State Park, NJ

Great pictures & location, Thanks for sharing, Doug

2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Great report!... never thought of NJ as a beach camping spot.

EDIT: Just saw "Double Trouble State Park" on your first pic... hmmmm... gotta check that out
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #4

We are not allowed to stay over night on Cape Hatteras anymore.

Do what you can to keep the beaches open in NJ
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
One of the local "camping" spots that I had on my radar when dreaming of a 4WD rig was Island Beach State Park down on the 'Jersey shore. Beach access with the proper 4WD vehicle is available year round for a annual fee of $195 or a $75 three-day pass.
Thanks, you've just made my day. I grew up in NNJ but haven't been to Island Beach in 50 years or so. I'm planning a trip back east and this would definitely be a highlight.

Two questions:
a) Can I bring my dog?
b) Do I need a NJ fishing license?

Thanks,

David
Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeade0
Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
Thanks, you've just made my day. I grew up in NNJ but haven't been to Island Beach in 50 years or so. I'm planning a trip back east and this would definitely be a highlight.

Two questions:
a) Can I bring my dog?
b) Do I need a NJ fishing license?

Thanks,

David
I Googled and found the dog rules.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

Thanks everyone.

Dogs are def allowed. Lots of people walked the beach with their dogs. You do not need a fishing license to surf fish but there is the Saltwater Recreational Registry Program that they suggest you do.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Great report!... never thought of NJ as a beach camping spot.

EDIT: Just saw "Double Trouble State Park" on your first pic... hmmmm... gotta check that out
There is a surprising amount of wildland in southern NJ, home of the huge and very rural "Pine Barrens" area, of which Double Trouble is part. I go canoeing in the Barrens a lot and you really feel like you are in the great north woods or something. Very remote. And, there are miles and miles of sand roads in the Barrens that are open to four-wheeling. I used to take my old Isuzu Trooper wheeling there. Most of the Pine Barrens are protected land of some sort, either state park or state forest, but still are open for a lot of uses.

See http://www.pineypower.com/offroading.htm
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

I keep toying with the idea of the Pine Barrens, but have never pulled the trigger. One of these days maybe we'll do a guys weekend down that way. I've looked, but haven't seen any information on boondocking in the Barrens. Any thoughts on this? How's the fishing in the Barrens?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

Great photos!