Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Newbie asks how to plug in to house power

Yeah, so I totally failed Physics in school and forgot anything I ever learned about electricity and must therefore ask a dumb question: I just bought a 2003 Dodge RB-40 Sportsmobile with a tricksy battery (van side). How can I plug it in to house power so it will start in the morning and drive me to work? Extension cord from outlet in garage attaches where in van?

Thanks.

2003 Dodge SMB named Serenity
j9brewsbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #2

Garage
Re: Newbie asks how to plug in to house power

Maybe inside the propane access door, in an electrical box?

Here's a picture of one - the electrical inlet is on the right side. May need a special cord?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #3

Take more pictures.

Also look for big fat wires inside the cabinets, near the battery or under the hood- if you find something with two big red wires that looks like a small brown or black can, you're good (separator). If you find a brick with 3 posts and 3 or more fat wires (usually under the hood) then plugging in to shore power isn't going to help your starter battery anyway.

Also also, have the battery tested. If you mask the problem with shore power you may get to a point where you cannot get home in the evening...
Old 06-25-2014, 10:40 AM   #4

Garage

Oops, didn't catch the dead van battery. The cord really only for the RV part of the van. If the van battery is weak, it needs to be fixed and the cord probably won't help.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:06 PM   #5

If I'm reading you right, you want to know what type of cord to connect to your exterior van outlet.

Go to Fred Meyers or other big store with RV supplies. You need a 30 amp connector. You can get these as an adapter piece for your regular 120V 15 amp extension cord. You can also opt to buy one with its own cord and 120V connection at the other end.

There's also a 15 amp adapter you can buy to connect up to either of the above pieces and give yourself more options when camping at locations with electric connections. Most RV camp spots give you a 30 amp connection and some give you both 30 amp and 15 amp connections. The 30 amp connection will charge your batteries faster.

Sounds like your van engine battery is not working for you (I assume that's why you want to connect up in order to start your van). Hope you get that fixed soon.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote