Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Penthouse Bolt Replacement - video

Earlier this year I replaced the original bolts that support the penthouse in my 1989 SMB with new shoulder bolts. Was glad that I did as there was quite a bit of wear on them. I documented the entire process on a 24 minute video, http://vimeo.com/62530890. I hope you find it interesting.

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Re: Penthouse Bolt Replacement - video

Excellent! You managed to demystify that process... and not a hint of foul language
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing your work on video.
Now just need the parts and do it on mine.
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

Penthouse Bolt Replacement - video

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogone
Excellent! You managed to demystify that process... and not a hint of foul language
Demystification was the plan. Tried to make it as clear and simple as possible.

Foul language almost came into play when I installed the two end bolts first and then tried to install the center one. Realized that the sequence was wrong, needed to install the front middle and then the rear bolt as shown.

The bolts can also be installed rear, center, front but it is much harder to install the bolt in the front bar than when the other two are already in place.

Glad you liked it.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

I also have a1989 Ford. When lifting the PH today I noticed the nut from one the bolt that holds the lifts in place was missing. The bolt ended up falling out and the lifts separated and went uneven. This also made the lift where it attaches to the roof come undone. I have tried to remove the panel on the ceiling but am having trouble removing the bolts that are used to attach it. Any suggestions? Thanks
Tkkujawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

The ceiling panel bolts go all the way through the penthouse roof. To remove them you need to hold the built head on top while turning the nut inside. I used a box end wrench on top that was held in place by a brick to keep it from turning while I removed the nut.

When I did bolts I did not remove the penthouse bolts. After blocking up the roof I realigned the center lifting bar holes by taking out one of the bolts on the end of the bar. Then with a bit of effort got the end bolt back in.

Post some photos of you issues. It may help us better understand your issue.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the response. After some more investigating I realized that the scissor lift isn't disconnected from the roof panel. It only bent it but seems to still be somewhat secure. Now the scissor lift bolt is still missing and the two holes with the spacer between them are not lining up. I am planning on having some friends help me lift the PH and brace each corner with 2x4's. Hopefully with the weight off I can realign the scissor holes and put a new bolt in and the problem should be fixed. Does this sound right? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #8

Yes it does sound right. Make sure you friends stay around to help you realign the holes and put in the bolt. It is difficult for one person to do. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Good idea. Also I noticed that when the scissor lift bolt broke it jarred that side loose from where the scissors attach to the roof and to each other. The part on the ceiling wood covered with fabric. There seemed to be a piece of wood supporting them in but it has been jarred loose. Any idea on how to reinforce it? Thanks
Old 09-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #10

Also with my friends we were able to fully lift the penthouse manually and brace it with 2x4's. WHen it was fully raised the scissor lift bolt holes did not line up with each other. Tried cranking them and lifting them higher but couldn't get them to line up. Any tips?