Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #1

PH A/C - wacked?

I want to run an idea past everyone in the group regarding air conditioning. I rarely need it, but occasionally I wish we had it. I've considered buying one of those portable A/Cs that vent out a window with a hose, but I've heard mixed reviews on how well they work. Also, I am concerned that that the cool air won't reach the penthouse.

So... how about this idea?... A 5000 BTU window AC could be put on top of the cab of the van pointing it into the front window of the PH. Mind you, it's not mounted there, it's just set there on those really hot, sticky nights when you really can't sleep without it. They're only about 40lbs and they run less than $100.

Since the PH windows zipper from the bottom up, the AC unit would have to have some legs attached with rubber feet to get it to the right height. Those window units have those louvers that slide out to the desired width. It would not be a good seal, obviously, but maybe good enough.

What do you think? Is this wacked or worth a try?

https://www.geocities.com/jetrier/vanBoatsBikes.JPG
DIYSMBWPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Better anchor it down pretty good. These cheap AC units vibrate a lot. Also they are designed to blow cold air in one direction, and hotter air in the opposite direction. If you had any wind returning that hot air to the cold side, you'd reduce your efficiency and be wasting energy. Might have to fashion some venting to get that hot air away from the PH. I'm picturing some heavy duty flexible aluminum HVAC ducting.

And once having done that, take a picture because I'm sure there are websites devoted to red-neck engineering, and this would definitely qualify!
Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
How do you plan to run it?
If you got 2000 watts you might look here for advise
http://www.dometictruck.com/pdf/L-2523.pdf
or if your wanting to go cheaper
http://www.swampy.net/

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

I always wondered about putting one of the RV style roof models in the PH... is that even possible?
Old 04-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Dave: I thought about the "ice box" ACs (like Swampy), but I did not hear that many good things about them for humid environments. They work well dry climates, but not up north in the humidity.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
There are many precedents for this sort of modification. A few ideas to get you started:

Old 04-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #7

Here's a kit someone's selling for VW Westy's

Here's the link if you want more info

http://community-2.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia/
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM   #8

LoneStarJR: That's Westfalia AC is an interesting option. I'm not sure how well that would cool down the PH. I would think the cab would be very cool, the back of the van would be cool, and the poptop would be slightly cooler than normal. I was hoping that having that by having it on the roof that the temperature could be more uniform throughout. It is encouraging to see others doing something very close to it. I did see one company that was selling kits for tents as well. I can't find the link right now. They sold a stand that held a AC unit and a zippered conversion kit to attach to a tent.

jage: As far as an "RV style roof models in the PH", do you mean "in" or "on"? I'd worry about the weight of the AC unit on the PH. Plus, I carry kayaks up there sometimes, so I really didn't want a permanent unit up there. I also park my SMB in my garage and it won't fit with anything else up there.

lowracer: LOL, I've seen some of those pictures before and they definitely qualify as wacked. I was hoping for something less... permanent.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #9

The thing with those home AC units in a Westy is Westies have a luggage/storage area right up front for the unit to rest in. Load it up there once and that's that. The luggage tubs on Westies have holes to allow rain (in that case AC condensation) to escape. Obviously we have no such creature and humping even a small AC unit up top (if there is a way to attach it) on a regular basis would would be a serious pain. However, when used in a Westy, people talked about how well they cooled the whole van down (they circulate a lot of air and its a lot smaller than a room in a house). It was something I long considered with my Westy (since I had no AC at all), but can't say I was ever hot in the evenings, so decided to forgo one. Back to a SMB, it would be fairly easy to fab or buy a small box to house a small home AC unit. Mount the box on a pair of Yakima Racks mounted to the gutters over the front of the cab. Get some cordura, have a seamstriss (sp?) sew a zipper so it could attach up front, velcro the onther end to the working end (top, bottom and sides) to your AC unit and viola! Damn it would be ugly, but it would work.