Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

hot water fitting on an 7.3 powerstroke

dear members
i am on the way to install a combination of diesel water heater, water furnance and a warm water boiler in my smb.
I will also conect this system to the engine because
1: while driving i can use the hot water from the engine to heat up the tap water
2: after cold nights i can use the water heater to warm up the engine water. So it will start easier and! i also can use the blower under the dashbord saditional to warm up the cabin and defrost the screens without engine running.

I made a plan of the system so i am now at a good way to get it running. I just do not know where i have to plug in the waterlines at the engine. I am shure there are plugs in the block or heads to do this.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Didi

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #2

Re: hot water fitting on an 7.3 powerstroke

Discalmer.... I have never done this.... I'm just thinking out loud base on how these vans are plumbed...

Does if have rear factory Ford HVAC? If yes, you can tee into the soft line that go to the rear heater core.

If no rear heater, you can replace the heater lines (at the manifold and the front heater core) with the lines designated for vans with rear heat. These lines will have a TEE built-in which you could route directly to your accessories. I bought mine at RockAuto.com . It was 1/10th what the dealer or local parts stores wanted.

I do not recommend adding a TEE to the hot heater hose coming from the manifold. It runs too hot, and using hose clamps causes the plies to separate, and the hose will burst. The factory-style molded TEE is much better. I learned this the hot and messy way.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

This does not directly answer your question but may be helpful reading or reference. Badgertrek did some re-plumbing of his hydronic system on a 6.0L engine.

http://www.badgertrek.com/sportsmobile/appliances.shtml

I have a 6.0L and diesel Espar airtronic, Webasto coolant heater, and flat plate heat exchanger. When I bought my van it had the coolant heater and flat plate exchanger. The coolant lines from the coolant heater were also run thru a air/coolant heat exchanger in the cabin with a thermostat.

My comment about that original setup I had is that it had a slow response time and never blew enough hot air to heat the cabin properly. I removed the air/coolant heat exchanger and thermostat and replaced it with an espar airtronic unit. I can preheat the cabin with the airtronic and can separately preheat the engine with the coolant heater. The coolant heater is not plumbed so that it is actually warming the entire engine (read about Badgertrek's changes) so that is one change I would like to make in the future. Separating the heating system for the cabin and engine works better for me.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #4

Thanks for the response,
i think the V10 and also the 6.0 have other conecting points than the 7.3. As i can not find a cooling circuit drawing of the 7.3 in the www maybe someone can give me the best pints for 7.3 conections. I am afraid to ignore a good one in the blind engine compartment

@carringb: no i have no factory rear heater, good idea to have a look at the manifold and appresiate for the tip not to take a TEE....i am shure i have taken a TEE because of saving money

@dparkwy:
Quote:
"My comment about that original setup I had is that it had a slow response time and never blew enough hot air to heat the cabin properly"
Yes i also think it takes to long to heat up this huge engine and it is nonsense to do this if you need only a heated cabin. So i will go with a shortcut between the engine circuit and the cabin circuit. I will take a 3-way valve and switch it only to the engine circuit if i realy need it. I am a little afraid that the "only cabin" water circuit is to small for the coolant heater. So he will shut down very often because of getting in his shutdown-temperature. This will cause a lot of battery power because than the heater always need to glow up befor restarting.... I have to make several tests to get the best way
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

I have an isolation valve as well. You are correct that the isolated circuit will overheat relatively quickly and shutdown the coolant heater on temperature.

I hope you find a good solution!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

Did you guys find a solution as well as good connection points at the engine? I'm in the same design/building process and might benefit from your experience... Started a thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12687

Cheers
Mr. D
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote