Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

battery box to add 2nd house battery

The 1997 SMB I just purchased has only one house battery. I want to add two new 27 series batteries end-to-end in one battery box, but I cannot find one, so I am thinking about making one out of wood. Does anyone know where I can buy a box that is at least 25" inside and no more than 28" outside including the flanges? And, if I make a wood box, how should the wood be sealed?

antibo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #2

Re: battery box to add 2nd house battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibo12
I want to add two new 27 series batteries end-to-end in one battery box
I have been poking around as well. Trips to see ones that appeared right showed inside dimensions did not work because of indents. The Stanley Fat Max 28 is supose to work but I find it too high to go under the bed.

There is a 26" Contico I hope to find soon that I have high hopes for. It was not in my local HD

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Contico-26-i ... lcjCtK-rug
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #3

I was also looking for another of the original box for the 27 and never found it at Marine or RV stores. Anybody know where to get these?
Old 10-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #4

I am going to use the bottom out of two old 27 boxes that I had in my boat unless I can find one battery box to hold two 27's. I plan to make the top out of wood, but I do not know yet how to seal the wood against the acidic fumes. I emailed Rust-Oleum and Sherman-Williams for advice.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

You can't just use two boxes? If you buy AGM's you really don't have to worry much about off gassing either. If you're mounting inside, wood might be OK but myself I really would rather have a sealed box that is vented out or better yet mount them outside. Freezing weather could be a factor but it takes really cold stuff for that. I wouldn't trust wood outside the van. Hard to beat something like this but if you can't make it fit...

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=1652

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

I am looking at cost and I have a feeling that is what antibo is doing as well. Cost no object the slide down rack between the frame and body is the way to go.

Thanks for the link to the battery box, it looks nice, and is on my list.

The cheepest easiest way I can think of is a 35 dollar tool box mangled with a hole saw, A Wally World 27 at a hundred bucks or less, no rewiring, just a couple of premade wires from NAPA to join two together. The total is less than just one of the nice 27 Noco boxes.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Quote:
I am going to use the bottom out of two old 27 boxes that I had in my boat unless I can find one battery box to hold two 27's. I plan to make the top out of wood, but I do not know yet how to seal the wood against the acidic fumes. I emailed Rust-Oleum and Sherman-Williams for advice.
Fiberglass the wood parts with resin and cloth or matt.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #8

Of course I do not yet know how it will work, but I read that ABS has excellent resistance to sulfuric acid, so I lined a wood box with sheet ABS from TAP Plastics and sealed the edges with "Amazing GOOP Plumbing". I gave up on finding an end-to-end battery box of polypropylene or polyethylene. I had so little length and width to work with that I had to use 1/2" plywood for the outside. The up and down vents are Schedule 40 PVC pipe glued to the ABS with Parabond P-28 recommended by the local plumbing store. I left room at the top for taller 6 volt batteries, but I decided to go with two 27 series 115 amp batteries from Costco. I did not go with AGM due partly to the cost, but also because I understand that they also vent fumes (from the side) so I would still have to have a vented box. I will provide information on how this works out if I do not die from fumes or explosion.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
. I did not go with AGM due partly to the cost, but also because I understand that they also vent fumes (from the side) so I would still have to have a vented box. I will provide information on how this works out if I do not die from fumes or explosion.
There are other reasons AGM batteries are a good choice over wet cell types.
Off gassing can happen in extreme cases but is almost non existent with a normal operating AGM.
They charge faster which is a huge advantage with a solar setup.
They aren't as prone to heat like wet cell types with regard to water levels. You do nothing to keep water levels up.
They handle vibration much better.
Most can be put in almost any angle except upside down.
They hold static charge for a month, no need to charge if there is no draw.

You'll probably be able to take down a good deep cycle wet cell battery to a lower DOD (depth of discharge) than an AGM but the hassle of dealing with them? I'm glad I switched. But cost is a factor. My problem was with wet cell batteries was I did a poor job maintaining them. I found the AGM's actually saved me money in the end. YMMV.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #10

I'm with daveb. Next time I buy batteries I'm going with AGMs like Optimas & a very minimal case. I'm more concerned about the electricity and vibration than gas; heck, I probably generate more flammable gas than the battery.