Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

Suggestions for interior seating?

We have a transformer style interior, which I've been slowly modding as we take trips and figure out best usage for us. Last year, I built a slide-out table that is mounted to the underside of the transformer platform (pictured below). It can take a lot weight and has gotten much use, especially when windy & cold. I also built two deep drawers, seen below the slide-out table, which have been great too.

In any case, we used to use small-ish camp chairs to sit on either side of the table, but the fabric has started to rip. That got me thinking about creating a more permanent seating solution: I'd like to build a simple seat that is mounted to the side wall that either flips up (or down) when not in use. Has anyone done anything like this? Can the walls (with some backing) support the weight? If so, any hints to go about modifying the side wall to support the weight?

-Kevin

Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #2

Re: Suggestions for interior seating?

I'm thinking about doing the same. Many wheelchair vans have flip-down seating. However, they are not very attractive and don't have head restraints. I'm actually thinking about an F150 SuperCrew rear seat. The seat bottom folds up vertical to open up the floor, or the entire seat assembly tumbles forward to make a flat platform. The bottom brackets and upper latch would both need to be fabricated however, or at least modified from the F150.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #3

Also, for a smaller seat, you could probably use the rear jump seat out of a Ranger or Taco. You could recess your wall panels so when folded the jump seats would not take up any extra space.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #4

Here's a picture I found online of a Taco jump seat:

That is an interesting idea since I'm only interested in the seat portion of it, and would be more comfy than wood; don't need the back/head rests while eating dinner.

It looks like it rests on something, rather than supported by the wall, so not sure how to mount it and even whether the wall is strong enough to support the weight.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

IIRC, the Land Rover Discovery II's have a third row with jump seats that fold down from the side, but still face forward.

Herb
Old 01-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #6

Toyota previa third row seats fold flat against the wall. It's a pretty sweet design and slit of them didn't get much use.
jamesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

I'm not sure if the Taco seats are supported by the floor hump. I know Ranger seats are not, since they mount to the side.

The Ford inner walls should be able to support some wall-mount seats as long as the nuts have a large enough backer plate. But the walls are not solid, there's a lot of cutouts, so you have be somewhat limited on locations. You could probably also weld up some "L-brackets" so it would be mounted to the floor instead.