Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Aluminess Boxes

So here is the deal. I have just got my van back from Ujoint and the rear Aluminess Bumper has a big fat 37" tire mounted on back that leaves no room for a standard Deluxe Box or Galley Box. Even a normal open fuel box would leave about 4" un-useable.

So I am going to take some measurements and have Aluminess make a custom box for me. That means that I need to pick the perfect one because no one will ever want to swap, trade or buy my old one if I don't like it since it will be odd Dims.

My question is this, what do most people prefer, deluxe or galley and why? Consider if you had to decrease the width by 4" Then what would you want?

1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Aluminess Boxes

From what I was told is their custom box is built by another company. So going with a "real" custom box might be more expensive...at least it was for me. I also wanted the door to open the way I wanted. I threw around whether I wanted the door to open flat so I could use it as a table but doubt I would have ever have used it that fashion. Besides I wanted to stow fuel cans and didn't want something in the way. If you do want to carry fuel cans make sure you put some thought into it. You need to be able to reach your hand in on top to pull them out. Also their box has a lip and the cans drop in. It's kinda hard to lift them out over it. I had a plate made that drops in the bottom so the cans just slide out. I also made it where I can carry a 5 gal propane tank (whether or not it's legal). I did add holes so if it leaked the fuel can go somewhere. Did it come out like I thought it would? NO. Just be careful because little things sometimes don't quite come out the way you might think. Some was my fault some was Aluminess's. I did make some major changes to what I had them do and it cost me. It's big (I added the lower non-aluminess box just over a year ago) but sure is nice. I can carry 4 2.5 gallon water cans on top if necessary but they are a little hard to reach The top box holds 4 standard Jerry cans. Maybe you can design one for 3? It's nice to think ahead so down the road if you do want to haul something like propane you can.

Attached Thumbnails
june 2013 152.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #3

I'm about to place an order too. For deluxe box w/rails. I'd do same if I was losing 4". The standard box seems small. Especially if you lost 4".

But you might mock it up with cardboard or 1/2" styrofoam just to see if there's an obvious advantage to one size or another. Have you looked into if the tire could be moved over even an inch or two?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I had the deluxe box on our old SMB and now the galley box on our rig.... I prefer the galley box, because I can use the door as an outdoor table to BBQ. I also put firewood on the top and 5 gal H20 container. However, consider what Dave said about what are you going to store in there. Obviously if I have Fuel back there, I wouldn't use the table for BBQ. I'm planning on installing a rotopax 3gal fuel container behind the box also. Good luck.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #5

As other posters have stated, what do you want to store in the box? Makes me think of the Sat. Night Live skit with Timberlake and D**k in a box

I too like to fold down door to sit stuff on. The bumper also can fit a lot of tools and recovery straps and stuff. I have the galley box with rails and custom tubing for a bike rack but I can fit 3 Sceptor water jugs on top and my grill inside. The jugs would still fit if you could get by with subtracting 2". The spare is a 35" tire.
Attached Thumbnails
rack3.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #6
Site Team

For these mondo boxes on Aluminess bumpers, I'd certainly make sure your bumper has the swingarm support blocks, and I think you can order a three or maybe even four hinge/pivot swingarm to help distribute the extra weight.

Herb
Old 01-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

After damaging my jerry-can carrier (took a right turn too sharp through a dip while towing a school bus) I realized I wanted my box to be reparable/replaceable. I ended up making building a simple frame that I could bolt my storage box to. That also allowed my to use an off-the-shelf truck box, which has better security IMO because it has rods which secure the corners, so a corner can't be pried open to reach the latch from the inside. I highly recommend the frame/bolt-on-box method for repairability and if makes it easier/cheaper if you ever want to change your configuration.

Also on the topic of custom boxes, you may want to consider sending a PM to NorthLeftCoast on the forum. He build my underfloor storage box, and did an awesome job with it. A rear cargo box is basically the same thing, just mounts different.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
For these mondo boxes on Aluminess bumpers, I'd certainly make sure your bumper has the swingarm support blocks, and I think you can order a three or maybe even four hinge/pivot swingarm to help distribute the extra weight.

Herb
I agree. I'm also adding a damper towards the top to support the box when running rough trails. The new Aluminess bumpers also support the tailgates while closed. They will sell a retrofit kit for that also replacement hinge pins for the older models which should be considered even if you don't add a larger box.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #9

@ Dave: What is and where did you buy a non-A box with the same o.d.'s as the A-box above.

My plan was to stack 2 A-galley boxes on the right with rails on three sides but not the middle. They are ~16"D. Next, I was going to have Aluminess custom build a 16"D box for my 35"spare. It would be the same height as the pass side boxes and have matching rails wo the center one. I was going to create the width necessary by covering most of the OE tail lights. I want LED's, anyway, and these can be installed on my boxes, like a trailer.

After seeing and reading above, I'm thinking plan ain't so great. For one thing, I see I can't move my stacked boxes outward because the van walls curve inward. The upper box would stick out too much. Same same on my tire box.

Soooooo, I'm thinking I might just have all three boxes custom made. The outside uppers can be slanted inward and the door opening just adjusted. I can then get the wider space I need for the tire/recovery gear box.

However, I will still need HEAVY duty swing out arms. Unless anyone knows of other HQ arms that go on a rear ALUMINUM bumper, I guess I'm buying those from Aluniness.

I, too, am going to hang some Roto tanks bt my boxes and doors. I donno gal sizes yet until I see how much room I have. Anyone know any reason why, with appropriate stiffening, I couldn't hang them off the doors instead of the swing away bars?

JC
Old 01-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #10

Speaking of rear Non-A bumpers. I had "Chimneyman" send me some pics of his incredible build. He built this bumper from scratch. I thought the jack storage was a great idea along with the bottom step. For the box he utilized a metal platform which he then mounted a standard truck box to. His bumper does not have internal storage like an Aluminess and is made of steel so is heavier.
Attached Thumbnails
Oborg Reear Bumper.jpg   Oborg Rear Bumper 2.jpg   Oborg Rear Bumper 3.jpg  
catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote