Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #1

A little extra storage

I was replacing the actuator motor for the door lock in the rear door. While digging around in there I noticed there was some space for an additional indoor storage spot. It never dawned on me to look behind that panel because of the license plate box in that door. While it won't be as big as the other back door storage I thought it will be big enough for the time and effort it would take me.
I had some SMB material, an old panel with the T-molding. I don't remember what this once was but it will be a perfect match to all the cabinets. And SMB West had made a vinyl bag for the stock jack that was never used but never thrown out and now I know why. It was made of the same vinyl as the door panels so I used it to line the new storage pocket. The only thing I needed to buy was the hinges. I still have to come up with a latch to keep it closed.

Cheers,
John

jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #2

Re: A little extra storage

OK, that is really impressive. Great job as always, but this may be my favorite one yet...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

Very nice. I've thought about doing that. Howbout a piece or nylon strap and a snap? I've seen them secured that way in other SMBs.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

I assume you cut the door panel a bit to make the area larger? Do you have a photo of the cut before you put in the vinyl material? (Having a hard time getting a perspective on it for some reason.) I thought about doing this, too, when I had that door apart to run a backup camera, but got lazy and didn't do it.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #6

I put storage in every door, but that one, didn't think it would be that easy with they license plate either.
Nice Work, may have to rework that door now, can't have enough places the stuff crap.
Waterski02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Brian, look at the first and second photos. The first photo shows the "raw" door before any modifications. The second one shows a panel over the initial opening along with the vinyl wrapping over the cut that was made. You can use the various holes in the door for reference points.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Garage

Nice work on that project. Looks like an original SMB install. It should match what's on the opposite door.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterski02
can't have enough places to stuff crap.
Thant's what I was thinking, every little bit helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
. Howbout a piece of nylon strap and a snap?
I'll most likely do something like that but I'll have to sew up something like what REF pictured. that is exactly what is on the other door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
I assume you cut the door panel a bit to make the area larger? Do you have a photo of the cut before you put in the vinyl material? (Having a hard time getting a perspective on it for some reason.) I thought about doing this, too, when I had that door apart to run a backup camera, but got lazy and didn't do it.
sdwindansea has it right. the only thing I can add is that the black steel panel in the second picture is what holds the plastic license plate box in place. This panel was removed in the first shot. Notice the 4 screws, they're screwed into the back of that box. The 2 black lines on the tan paint on either side of the 2 lower screws (also in the second pic) mark where I bent that panel. That black panel was several inches farther down so I bent it inward at those 2 black lines. Not quite 90 degrees but close and I didn't bend it in place, I took it out to do that. This gives that panel some extra rigidity especially compared to cutting it at those lines. I then used tin snips to open up the pocket. Sorry but I didn't take any other pics.
Cheers,
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

Hmm. I don't use the back plastic license plate box; given you've rooted around in their, would it be possible to delete it entirely and get a storage space that would be bigger? Or mo' better, cut into the plastic itselft to have exterior access as well? I'd need to find a weatherproof door obviously.

Rob