Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #1

Park brake cables

Very hard to find the right part numbers because of all the van variations (cab chassis etc)

This is what I used for a 2002 E350. I would imagine it would be the same 2001-2006 ish.

9C2Z 2835 A - main cable from pedal (Motorcraft BRCA 49)
F7UZ 2A793 AA - extension cable (for 138" WB, which is RB/EB)
1C2Z 2A635 AA - LH cable (Motorcraft BRCA 28)
7C2Z 2A635 B - RH cable (Motorcraft BRCA 36)

(Note: Equalizer with basic number 2A602 is not used, the equalizer joint is part of LH cable.)
I got my cables from FordPartsGiant.com, about $110 total.

The shop manual says to put a 4mm drill bit into the park brake pedal quadrant to take up the slack. What they don't say is you really need to ensure this bit is in front of the pawl on the self adjuster which is spring loaded and almost impossible to see. I was able to reset mine with it mounted in a vice (control quadrant removed from vehicle) and pressing with a big screwdriver on the pawl.

A mechanic gave me advice to work from the rear cables to the front.

Watch out for losing the springs that hold the RH cable to the LH frame rail, they fly off when you remove them.

If the cable for the pedal is still just a little short you can use a C clamp to rotate the self adjuster wheel about an inch closer to the cable.

Ensure the levers in the brakes at the hubs are both pulled forward when the pedal is down, and released when the pedal is up. Due to the self tensioner, they may not be all the way released, that's ok.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote