Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Installing New Pin In Sway Bar

Cheryl and I returned home about a week ago from a 5 week 7000 mile trip. On our way home near Carlsbad, New Mexico, I noticed the driver side sway bar pin had snapped off. I never noticed any difference in the handling of our SMB. I got in touch with Peter at Sportsmobile and had him send me two complete sets, (pins, rubber bushings, metal sleeves and retainer pins). It was easier than I thought it would be.

There are only 4 bolts holding the sway bar in place. The 2 larger bolts do have blue Locktite on them.

I beveled the edges of the sleeve and the pin. It makes it easier putting the disconnects back in place after off roading.

I welded the hex head with my Millermatic 130 XP, using .030 flux core wire. I also pre heated to 500 degrees.

I hope this will help other "Do it your selfers".

Woody

Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

Garage
Re: Installing New Pin In Sway Bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbee

I welded the hex head with my Millermatic 130 XP, using .030 flux core wire. I also pre heated to 500 degrees.

I hope this will help other "Do it your selfers".

Woody
That's no "do it your selfer" weld Woody. For those of you who don't know Woody is a professional welder by trade.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

Yeah I was gonna say something about that. Nice job Woody.

I've broke the pin(s) more than 12 times now, the last time up at Leavitt
Gonna try a totally new sway bar next. I'm thinking SMB might have drilled out the pin hole the first time it broke (the driver side has only broke once or twice). Other than that I don't know why I'm having such a bad time. I've wondered if there is an issue of how stiff the sway bar is or that it might be bent off kilter or something like that. I've definitely got the record by a long shot.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Yeah I was gonna say something about that. Nice job Woody.

I've broke the pin(s) more than 12 times now, the last time up at Leavitt
Gonna try a totally new sway bar next. I'm thinking SMB might have drilled out the pin hole the first time it broke (the driver side has only broke once or twice). Other than that I don't know why I'm having such a bad time. I've wondered if there is an issue of how stiff the sway bar is or that it might be bent off kilter or something like that. I've definitely got the record by a long shot.
Thanks Ron & Dave.

When I inserted the new pin in the hole I noticed play in the hole. My feeling is that with the play between the pin and the wall of the hole would cause very small movement of the pin and possible fatigue at the hex head. Not just when off roading without removing the connectors but all the time.

Dave, I believe you had said in an earlier post that your pins have always snapped off inside the hole (at the hex head).

I think, if I have another one snap off at the hex head I will measure the diameter of the hole and turn a larger grade 8 bolt down to the exact size of the hole. Make for a tight fit and see how that works.

Has there been a lot of SMBers with this problem? If so I would like to know where there pins snapped off.

Thanks,

Woody
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

That's correct on how it broke Woody. There are a few post here but not nearly as many as mine. Even SMB has been scratching their heads.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #6

I really think making it a real tight fit and restricting any play in the hole might make a differance. Now I just need another one of mine to break and I will reinstall one tight. Really I hope that it doesn't break.

Woody
Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #7

I've always wondered about those detachable sway bars. No one makes such a thing for big heavy vehicles, at least not without custom fab as far as I've been able to learn.

I'm wondering why the weld on the bolt. Does that rigidity create problems (given the break, and assuming it just wasn't a crappy weld, I'd guess so)?

My sways use the horizontal hole with rubber bushings on both sides, so the sway can distort in its roll axis as well as get cushioned up and down (not detachable, but kinda easy to unbolt). Maybe if there were accomodation for twist and angle, whlle still allowing push down and pull up, they'd be sturdier.

I don't suppose a heim joint would work there, since you still need a bushing, right?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #8

Rob,

It wasn't a bad weld. As I ground the weld out, it was clean. Like I said in my post the hole was slightly larger than the pin and I think that allows the pin to flex on the hex head. If its a tight hole, it would be just shear on the pin, not flex on the head. It also might be when they welded the hex head to the sway bar might have crystalized the pin at the hex head when welded. I did pre heat to 500 degrees before I welded.
This is all speculation on my part, but there is a problem if we keep having the problem.

Thanks,
Woody
Old 08-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #9

Garage

Home Depot carries zinc coated lynch pins. I've had to replace 3 of them, the ring pops out for some reason. The ones from HD have held up better so far. They are in the hardware section of the store in the drawers.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #10

some time ago I picked up extra lynch pins at either Home Depot or Lowes. I never had the ring fall out.

Woody