Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Mounting a generator box

I have a dilemma. I have underneath mounted spare. I don't plan on moving it from there.
If my bed didn't cover the area needed for built in vasement storage id do it.

My van has indoor cooking although I only use it for soup and boil water.
So i don't want to have my rear doors blocked by external swing arms in an emergency.

What want it want to do mount the box on a spare tire frame on the left door and a ladder on right door. I have running boards that preclude a side ladder. This way I can easily exit the ladder mounted door if I need to.
My bike rack is going to be North Shore Rack adjusted to allow the doors to open with a bike on it.
Has anybody done this or have some tips?
Cheers

Old 12-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

Re: Mounting a generator box

Basically sounds like a mirror of Scotty86's set up would meet your needs. Bumper mount swing arm for tire with a box set up for genny.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Re: Mounting a generator box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der
Basically sounds like a mirror of Scotty86's set up would meet your needs. Bumper mount swing arm for tire with a box set up for genny.
Looking at my setup might help, but sounds like you need a bit of a different setup. First, there is a really cheap rear door ladder out there and a better one, both made by Surco.

Here's the really cheap one. The quality probably matches the price:

http://www.amazon.com/Surco-103H-Hook-O ... r+ford+van

Here's the better one, which several here have bought and painted or had painted if black or another color is needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Surco-093F-Stainl ... r+ford+van

Also, Colorado Camper Van or Aluminess, and probably several others, can build you one for a lot more $$$. Theirs are beefier and look like it too.

What I did for my rear racks, which I'm in the process of replacing, is rebuild what Sportsmobile used to build for a rear spare rack. My original one was rusting to pieces when I bought my van. It's essentially just a steel A-frame mounted to the door through the thick steel door hinges for strength. Simple to build if you can weld but the problem is they eventually will make your door sag. That's why I'm replacing with the Aluminess add-on style. Here's a pic of mine. I get lots of compliments on the genny box but it's making my door sag and is therefore a failure from a reliability standpoint. It has only been there for about 8 months. Warning, my welding is crude and ugly.

viewtopic.php?p=130547#p130547

My advice would be to mount a Surco or similar ladder on your right rear door, where you can always open it easily, and to get the Aluminess add-on style rack on the left and put a generator box instead of a spare tire on it. They can custom build this for you. Here's what it looks like, just without the spare mount in the middle. You can bolt any box on it but Aluminess will advise you not to go over 80 lbs. total. Keep in mind most small (2000) watt generators are about 50 lbs. This means build a light box and don't put a lot of other crap on it.

http://www.aluminess.com/ford/ford-vans ... ire-racks/

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #4

Mounting a generator box

Thank you so much 86 Scotty !
The weight hanging off the door was a concern for me too.
The surco ladder in stainless looks nice , any ideas on what to use to paint it?
I really like the Aluminess swing arm on the left with a box instead of tire.
I wonder if the alumines swing arm blocks the access hole for the spare tire lifter?
My spare is still under neath ..