Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Updated running boards today ***Update post #13***

rallypanam/Robb had an extra set of fiberglass running boards laying around so we decided to try installing them on my van today. Many thanks Robb!

We had a few stubborn screws so we had to bust out some power tools. Did I mention that my gas tank leaks?...

While dry fitting the driver’s side we determined that the city water connection was in the way. Instead of butchering the running board, Robb had the rather brilliant idea of just moving the water connection up about an inch. Moar power tools!...

Then we finally got down to installing the running boards and support brackets. Robb worked on the brackets while I drove in a dozen or so self tapping screws on each side. I'll add more later. Here’s Robb enjoying all that ground clearance…

And here’s the Before & After…

Much better!

Now I really need some rear wheel spacers.

gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Re: Updated running boards today

Very nice...
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 12:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
Very nice...
Indeed! I'm currently deathly sick with a cold and he just had his wrist surgery, of course. Couldn't have been a worse time to try to pull off van mods but we did it.

Still hoping to meet you for a beer on your way back up Jeff. It's been a long time man.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

My recovering hand is sore.. but I reckon I'll survive.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #5

Did I mention that my gas tank leaks?...

Does your gas TANK leak or could it be the tank "rubber" filler hose or vent tube? Those are the common cause of gas smell, leakage.....If it is the filler hose, buy a ford one...I went thru an aftermarket (dorman) kit and the filler hose only lasted about 1.5years before cracking....Found a ford one online from a dealer for a reasonable $ once I had the part number...The vent hose can be replaced via Napa due to standard sizing.

Down in baja...

Cheers
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc

Does your gas TANK leak or could it be the tank "rubber" filler hose or vent tube? Those are the common cause of gas smell, leakage.....If it is the filler hose, buy a ford one...I went thru an aftermarket (dorman) kit and the filler hose only lasted about 1.5years before cracking....Found a ford one online from a dealer for a reasonable $ once I had the part number...The vent hose can be replaced via Napa due to standard sizing.

Down in baja...

Cheers
Not 100% sure but the pre-purchase inspection report said the tank was the culprit. It's an east coast van and it only smells when the tank is full. Guessing there's a rusty hole on the top. Who knows? Just another problem I gotta track down after I fix the heater blend door, get the A/C working, find the short in the #4 circuit, etc, etc.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
My recovering hand is sore.. but I reckon I'll survive.
Yeah, that didn't help my condition either. Probably not the best idea to do it yesterday. I doubt your doctor would consider a hammer drill or a sawzall as therapeutic devices. Then again, we've done stupider shit before.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Quote:

Down in baja...

Cheers
Not 100% sure but the pre-purchase inspection report said the tank was the culprit. It's an east coast van and it only smells when the tank is full. Guessing there's a rusty hole on the top. Who knows? Just another problem I gotta track down after I fix the heater blend door, get the A/C working, find the short in the #4 circuit, etc, etc.
Only when the tank is full? I have, or hopefully had the same problem. It was not my tank. I wouldn't drop the tank for this yet. Dropping it is a royal PITA!!! Check out the fuel vent hoses coming from the left (driver's side of tank). They aren't easy to get to but you can assess the condition of them without dropping the tank. They are routed along the left frame up by the fuel filter and on up in to the left rear of the doghouse. Pull your doghouse and check the short section of vent hose that's between the plastic connectors right on the rear of the block. There is a junction there about even with the floor and about foot or two of hose from a plastic connector to a vacuum diaphragm or some sort of other junction, I don't remember exactly. That's where mine was rotted. The rest of my vent hose/system looked good. I recently replaced that 1' of hose and haven't had the smell back, but another thing I've learned about the older gas vans (mine's a 95 460) is that the tanks really don't like to be filled completely full. I used to always get the smell for awhile when I filled up, but now I quit and the first or second click off. I thought for sure I had a rusty tank top but mine looked great when I finally pulled it and the rest of the van had lots of rust. Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope it helps. I've never had or heard of this problem with the newer vans (97 up) and I've filled them up thousands of times. Literally, at least once a day for about 10 years.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt
Quote:

Down in baja...

Cheers
Only when the tank is full? I have, or hopefully had the same problem. It was not my tank. I wouldn't drop the tank for this yet. Dropping it is a royal PITA!!! Check out the fuel vent hoses coming from the left (driver's side of tank). They aren't easy to get to but you can assess the condition of them without dropping the tank. They are routed along the left frame up by the fuel filter and on up in to the left rear of the doghouse. Pull your doghouse and check the short section of vent hose that's between the plastic connectors right on the rear of the block. There is a junction there about even with the floor and about foot or two of hose from a plastic connector to a vacuum diaphragm or some sort of other junction, I don't remember exactly. That's where mine was rotted. The rest of my vent hose/system looked good. I recently replaced that 1' of hose and haven't had the smell back, but another thing I've learned about the older gas vans (mine's a 95 460) is that the tanks really don't like to be filled completely full. I used to always get the smell for awhile when I filled up, but now I quit and the first or second click off. I thought for sure I had a rusty tank top but mine looked great when I finally pulled it and the rest of the van had lots of rust. Sorry for the lengthy post. Hope it helps. I've never had or heard of this problem with the newer vans (97 up) and I've filled them up thousands of times. Literally, at least once a day for about 10 years.

Well, I'll definitely be looking in to that. Thanks for posting that. I'll have the doghouse out when I do the heater fix so I can check the lines up front then.

I'll see if Robb wants to check the lines coming off the tank. Apparently, he loves crawling around under my van
Old 01-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #10

My fuel tank developed a leak after filling it up one day in baja. I stopped filling it all the way and made it back just fine. In my case, it turns out there was a hole in the top of the tank caused by the tank rubbing on the frame because it wasn't properly replaced after being shortened for the 4wd conversion. Some gas tank repair epoxy and a bit of rubber under the strap fixed it right up. I've pulled the tank twice, once for the leak, then again to replace the fuel pump, and as long as the tank isn't full, it's not too hard to remove. I'll be in town in a week or so and can help if you don't have it fixed by then.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote