Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Transit 4X4 2016 early adopter: comments on the floor plan?

To all interested folk,

Floor plans are like religion.... lots of opinions, mostly held strongly, and potential for debate. Taste and purpose drive these plans so I do not expect many to agree with my proposed plan. Having said that I would like to submit my plan for comments. Good, bad or whatever. I have never been in a SM with this plan and thus I have had to envision it as if I knew what it was going to look like. I am mainly interested in hearing from those who HAVE been in a similar floor plan to this one to tell me how it felt.

I want to be able to drive up to 7 people if necessary (around town) and I want to sleep up to 5 people when camping. I mostly want this vehicle for 3 to 5 day camping trips. I also want it to be off the grid and away from group camp sites. I will be in all kinds of weather and I am a dedicated foody so I want to cook and eat within my vehicle. I want it to have a relatively "open" feel. Having said all that, I submit the plan herein by photo for commentary.

Key features
1. Rear dinette that can seat 4 for short distances (tight 45 inch width but 2 seat belts on each side)
2. Rear dinette can turn into bed for 2 people
3. Rear captains seat for those times I need to drive 7 people around. Much of the time I will NOT have it in the van (removable)
4. Small inside toilet (so girls can pee during long drives without stopping) with shower (sit down) for use during camptrips with 2 1/2 gallon fast 110V water heater. When not in use this can be a small room like a closet for storing suitcases and other luggage.
5. Up front kitchen galley because I want a roomy feel when cooking and want the fridge close to the driver and front passenger for access to snacks. Yes, it will only feel roomy when rear captains chair is not there but that will be often. I want maximum counter space for food preparation hence NO tall cabinets (except for the small toilet shower)
6. Convection microwave and 4.6 CF marine refrigerator (INOX 130 by Indel/Webasto ) as well as 2 burner propane cook top for cooking.
7. Poptop for sleeping 2 more upstairs
8. Cab captains bed for the time we have one extra (5th) camper to sleep there.
9. Base vehicle is the Transit 3.5 L Ecoboost with 148 inch wheel base, 3500 chassis, 4X4 Quigley conversion with 2 inch lift and larger 245/70R/17 tires in the EXTENDED(Not the LONGEXTENDED) body, Low Roof option so I can fit it in my garage.

CONS
1. Not much interior storage due to cooking gear, lack of tall cabinets, and 20 gallon water tank under dinette. (I will have TWO large Aluminess exterior swing arm boxes and a front and rear receiver hitch for luggage boxes to be inserted AND I will add a Thule rack on top for possible cargo carrier to get me back the storage that I am losing inside)
2. Rear dinette moves rear passengers away from the front seat passengers (I have teenagers so that is the way we each like it but when I bring friends they will have to take turns coming to the rear captains chair to chat.
3. Interior toilet and shower take a lot of room and are not always used much.
4. Expensive (I am over that)
5. Hassle of taking on and off the rear captains chair depending on type of trip.

PROS
1. Lots of sleeping and seating capacity
2. Great for cooking
3. I THINK it will have a relatively "Open Feel" due to high cabinet ONLY on one side (toilet/shower)
4. Front TV can be viewed by rear passengers.
5. If no one sitting in back can use the space above dinette for interior storage and luggage.
Attached Thumbnails
Transit 2016 Floor Plan.jpg  

Transit4X42016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Re: Transit 4X4 2016 early adopter: comments on the floor pl

Your design looks good to me. I see you have all the fresh water on one side so you should be able to keep the pipes above the floor (helps in the winter).

You could save some space and reduce cost by getting rid of the propane and stove top. You can do a lot with the microwave. Small portable propane stove might work for you if you like outdoor cooking.

When do they start your build?
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #3

Transit 4X4 2016 early adopter: comments on the floor plan?

The info on SM west website might be old, but it seems to say that the pop top is only available for the RB length (130") transit, not the 148". Probably best to call and confirm (perhaps you have done so already) before getting too far on the layout.
elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

If you're going to have propane then you might consider replacing the 110v water heater with the Truma Combi self-contained water heater and furnace combo. It's small and very efficient, and could provide multiple shower capacity when off-grid.

The 2.5 gallon electric water heater in our SMB needs shore power (or a generator) to make it through more than one shower.
PeteM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
tlg

Garage

Overall, I really like your layout. Well thought out. Not sure if you can do awning style windows in a Transit but would highly recommend those over the selected slider windows. The awning style windows allow you to get air even when its pouring outside.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

I think you will feel cramped with the low roof. The bathroom/shower will be short.
Medium roof won't fit in your garage but it would give you a lot more room, and provide that roomy feel.
I don't know if SMB does pop tops on the medium roof but that's what I would want.
Other than height I like your layout.
Good luck with your build.
hammerhome is offline   Reply With Quote