Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 03:09 PM   #1

1989 Ford Econoline 150 Maintenance Project

Been looking for a van for a while. I love the idea of being able to live and adventure out of a van. I just picked up a 1989 Ford Econoline 150 Sportsmobile. Has 50,000 miles on it but has been sitting for the last couple years. Wanting to fully go through with maintenance and upgrades to the exterior and mechanically first but don't know where to start. What are the key things on an older van that need to be kept up with(maintenance/upgrades) to keep it running safely and long on the road? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-09-14 at 1.58.58 PM.png  

Tkkujawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #2

Re: 1989 Ford Econoline 150 Maintenance Project

First interior problem I discovered is a small leak. When the Penthouse is up there is a leak that somehow drips down onto the back passenger side cabinet below. I do not see any water or leaks in the Penthouse that are noticeable but it only leaks and pools when the Penthouse is up.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:59 PM   #3

I had an issue with mine (although it was the later body style) where, when the penthouse was up and the angle/wind/moon phase was just right, water would run off the penthouse roof (where the seam was in the trim piece on the edge of the top) and sort of bounce into the back doors where the gap is between the two doors, then leak in that way. Something as simple as setting a foam flip-flop against the canvas above the doors to slightly divert the water would keep it from happening (how I started diagnosing it - on a trip).
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #4

Thanks for the response I thought about popping the penthouse up and spraying it with a hose slowly to check for where the leak is.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkkujawa
What are the key things on an older van that need to be kept up with(maintenance/upgrades) to keep it running safely and long on the road? Thanks
Fluids. All of them, especially transmission fluid and brake fluid. Complete tune up as well, which includes fuel and air filters, plugs, wires, check the distributor out, etc. I would have an independent mechanic (the more old school the better) check out the suspension and steering components (ball joints, tie rods, etc.). Anything else will present itself soon enough. The leak would be the least of my worries.

Which engine?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #6

Good call! I noticed its easy for my to get distracted with small things like the leak when I should be making it fully road ready. Its the V8 302 5.0 liter.