Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Getting ready to install a Fantastic fan, advice?

So my new Fantastic fan will be here in a couple days and I'm getting ready to cut a large hole in my fiberglass top (GTRV). I know others have done this before, so I though, before I start I would see if anyone has any tips or suggestions. There's really just one place to put it, so I guess I should cut the headliner first, mark the cutout from the inside, drill the corners and cut away. Sound good?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #2

Re: Getting ready to install a Fantastic fan, advice?

Measure once, cut twice!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #3

^^^ Excellent advice right there.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

consider putting down some blue painters tape around the cutout-to-be to protect your roof while cutting.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

Consider where your solar panels will end. One day I will likely move my fantastic vent forward 6 inches to fit one more panel (if I can find one of the old BP panels to match my four old BP panels).
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Measure once, cut twice!

Wouldn't that make the hole too big?
Advanced 4wd
Old 10-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Put it toward the rear of your van if possible. I put mine up front and it is considerable for road noise, something to think about. I made a little foam cover for it that fixed the issue. Another variable, if you have a window with a screen, put it as far from that window as possible, to create a nice flow of air. Just my .02
c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #8

c7train is correct on placing it as far away from the one screened window you will leave open during the Summer nights. Your bed should be in between the two. The fan will cool your body by convection via air flow between the two. Personally, I like it up front, because I plan to put the shower right under it to vent steam. It also vents food prep stuff where it is in my design. Your interior design should dictate placement. You asked a deceptively simple question...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #9

I just taped mine and cut through all the layers at once from the outside.

There are light fixtures on the front and rear of my roof and the 12v wiring between them ran right up the center of the top. I cut through them when I cut my hole . Turned out there was extra wire stuffed in there and repairing the wire (and getting power for the Fantastic Fan was easy).

We placed ours about 2/3 of the way forward. That puts it near our feed when in the penthouse bed. The Fantastic Vents are fairly quite but having it away from our heads at night is good.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #10

Ok, While I was at ARB getting my new compressor the UPS guy dropped off the fan, along with some other goodies. In terms of where to put it, I don't have much choice in the matter. I could put it all the way aft, but when the top is down, the distance from the bed to the roof is only a couple inches (this is a GTRV, hinged at the back. In the middle of the roof are the solar panels, so up forward is my only real option. I'm a little concerned about the wind noise though. Is this a problem for most folks? Otherwise, assuming the weather allows, tomorrow I will cut a big hole in the roof of my van. The only other question I have is the fact that the instructions say "Gasket or sealer is required between flange bottom and top of roof. Clamp fans use a double bead of compatible sealant, no putty tape, butyl or gaskets to be used with clamp fans) Well I bought a roll of Butyl just for this install, but what the hell is a "clamp fan" The fantastic website has no reference to one. A clamp fan sounds like a portable fan with a clamp to mount where ever, but no sealant would be needed. Anyone got an idea? I really want to use the Butyl.
Advanced 4wd