Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #1

Installing Cobra 29 and other headliner projects

Before, I'd saddled a 2nd CB but with the same power source the problems remained.

During, shows wiring for new dome light function, which is duplicated across the way, only I don't have the dome light yet.

Dome installed. You can see the power/ground distribution in the background, and the visor power wires (light green) changed to clips so next time it is less of a headache. Beware, the light green wires are not constant power... it seems that way because they stay on longer than the dome lights, but they do shut off.

Working install. I haven't configured or tested yet, but the main problem being that there is no way to fit this between the visors (the old mini CB barely fit) so I had to wood block it and redrill the mounting and side holes.

I usually don't mind ugly but I need to come up with some matching fabric because this is pretty hideous. It will do for now I guess.

You can also see the new 12v power plug in this picture. I haven't figured out where to mount the mic yet, of course it doesn't fit in the console slots.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #2

Re: Installing Cobra 29 and other headliner projects

You can just mount the mic clip to the face of the storage slot, thats where ours is.

No way for the 29 to fit inside of the storage overhead itself?
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

It is as tall and as long as the console piece, that is the outside of the console piece. Since it tapers to the back and has a block (for screw mounting) there is no way without physically dropping the console center, or removing it completely. My ideal mic location is thrown into the console (like the first photo), but of course the mic is too thick.

I wonder if it will invite theft being so visible... hmmm.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Since you can temporarily remove the overhead console, can't you remove it, peel back the fabric and notch the front lip (wood?) to allow the CB and mic to fit? If you can get it to fit, any concerns over being able to hear the speaker or about heat build-up?

BTW, how do you remove the overhead console?

Did you also add the Reflectix above the headliner, or was it SMB or the previous owner?

I'm also envious of having dome lights. For some reason the previous owners didn't have SMB install any, and the closest lights are the RV light fixtures like you have on your B-pillars (nice bow by the way).

Herb
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco_hauler
Since you can temporarily remove the overhead console, can't you remove it, peel back the fabric and notch the front lip (wood?) to allow the CB and mic to fit?
If you imagine the front lip as an L there are 3 problems:
1. The 29 is longer than the foot of the L and would stick out about 4" (where adventureduo's sticks out about 2). With my fantastic fan this would be impossible.
2. The 29 is as tall as the outside vertical part of the L, plus a little. The hole would have to be bigger than the L or the L would have to come away from the ceiling. Since the center section is the main support for the console, it would be difficult and ugly with a radio this big.
3. The console is essentially 3/16" cedar plywood. In the elbow of the L extending back is a 1/2" thick piece of wood that extends back along the foot and is almost as wide as the buttons. Adventureduo's radio is probably resting on it, which is why it's against the ceiling and not the foot of the L. This allows for screwing into the underside of the L, but (being under carpet) would have been difficult to remove.

The only dimension the 29 would actually fit in this console is between the buttons.

Quote:
If you can get it to fit, any concerns over being able to hear the speaker or about heat build-up?
I was concerned about that. Even if there was enough room I would want a speaker hole where the reinforcement board is. At that point I might as well make a whole new console... which is way out of my league.

But I would think that adventureduo's install would be fine. My Jeep TJ has a small CB like that crammed in the stock radio hole sandwiched in with a CD player and I've never had a problem. (although there is also not a diesel running next to it). An external speaker would alleviate any muffled sound issues.

Quote:
BTW, how do you remove the overhead console?
1. Pull the cloth buttons at either edge. Remove small screws (2) exposing hidden black screws
2. Remove the hidden black screws (2) they are long.
3. Remove the a pillar buttons exposing the screws at the top rear of the a pillar cover. Remove these screws (2)
4. The a-pillar cover supports the console edges. You can probably work it past, but it is easier to remove the grab bars (4x 8mm socket under rubber plugs) and pull the a pillar covers (2x clips into A-pillar)
5. Remove the screws holding both visors (6)
6. Pull the visors, working the spring out of the hole. Be aware that if they have lighted mirrors they will be wired and the wire will prevent complete removal of the console. I cut them and replaced with clips for next time.
7. The visor clips each have one vertical screw in the back. Remove these screws (2) to remove the clips.
8. Remove the front cloth buttons (2)
9. Remove the front screws (2)
10. There are metal clips (2) attached to the console which fit metal L brackets. Pull down to remove metal clips from L brackets.
11. The console should be loose and hanging by the visor holes. At this point you can pull gently and ensure that I didn't forget any screws. As far as I can tell, none of the front button screws (if you have the privacy curtain) are structural.
12. The last bit is to pull the glued fabric from around the visor holes. The visors are mounted in the factory location and the headliner fabric is glued over this, the console fabric is glued over that. Mine came away with gentle pulling, but I took it apart in a haphazard order, so I'm not sure this is the best sequence and possibly should be done after removing the visor clips (#7)

With the exception of the glue which I did not replace, installation is reverse order, the clips on the L brackets won't support the console, but they help if you're putting it back by yourself. Those screws plus the visor screws will support the whole console, making it easy to work towards the outside.

Another note the top screws in my L brackets go into scraps of wood because of the fantastic fan install. I'm not sure what they are mounted to in the SMB install... I'd be leery of removing them.

Quote:
Did you also add the Reflectix above the headliner, or was it SMB or the previous owner?
Lord knows, there are so many bits of wood, foam and insulation chunks up there it is hard to tell what is going on. The PO did have a predilection for reflectix, but SMB also uses it in the PH top, so I would guess SMB.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the detailed response Jage.

Here'e a link to the CB I have in my Bronco. One of the primary reasons I went with it was for it's small size. It fit in the stereo compartment of my Tuffy console. From the looks of it though, Midland radio has discontinued this CB as well as many others, though they say it may still be available from dealers. I know that when I was searching for CB's, there were a few with front firing speakers, though not many.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/st ... oduct=3101

I guess I'll have to poke around the headliner in my SMB to see if I have insulation up there. The only thing I've done there is route some power to the area where the visor connects to the ceiling. Now you have me thinking about adding some dome lights.

Herb
Old 03-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #7

Gotcha on the size difference Jage.

You wont have heat issues with the CB... it doesnt really put out enough power. Now , for the record.. never mount a HAM radio or anything with considerable power in a closed space like that.
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Site Team

Jage,

Just noticed on one of your pics. Does your CB have Bluetooth capability? I didn't even know that combination existed.

Herb