Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #1

Possible cause of a leaky roof

I recently developed a leak in my roof after three years; I worked with Peter and his team Fresno through Email so I would not have to make the drive from Portland OR to Fresno. I was able to track the leak to the bolts for the rear latch or Penthouse bed support bolt. As you can see in the picture the bolts are not centered in that section of the roof. When I pulled the fender washers off I noticed that the edges of the washer were in contact edge of the roof section. I figured that this was not letting the washer sit flush to the roof and seal properly. I replaced it with 2â€

Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #2

If the bolts have been leaking for a long time you will be able to see a rust pattern on the shaft to some extent. My 2005 had 3 bolts that had about 1" of rust/corrosion which is how SMB identified the leaky ones.

They also checked them round robin, not removing anything from the top completely.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Re: Possible cause of a leaky roof

Never enough time to do it right the first time; always enough time to try to fix it later.
OldBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #4

In your picture, you can see the butyl is not compressed completely on the left side. Was there a path right through to the bolt?

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

wow this is old, but there was butyl under the washer, the problem is the washer did not sit flat on the roof, and could not compress the butyl for a good seal. My roof has the ribs and the hole was not centered in the middle, so the washer hit the edge of the rib.

It was pretty obvious once I looked closely, but of course the water never came in anywhere close to those holes. but that can be the nature of water leaks.
Scalf77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalf77
wow this is old, but there was butyl under the washer, the problem is the washer did not sit flat on the roof, and could not compress the butyl for a good seal. My roof has the ribs and the hole was not centered in the middle, so the washer hit the edge of the rib.

It was pretty obvious once I looked closely, but of course the water never came in anywhere close to those holes. but that can be the nature of water leaks.
You got that right. I had a crack in the PH top in the back, but water showed up inside in the front corner.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

Possible cause of a leaky roof

Re: roof leak and rebuild...

Is there any reason to use butyl preferentially over silicon? I'm looking at re-doing my roof bolts, and wanna figure out the best sealant. I'm open to suggestion.

My thoughts are to use a silicone caulk, but if there are better options, I'll use one.

I am planning on having the roof coated w/ a rhino or similar material.

Thanks
John
03 EB350, 7.3 PSD, Q 4x4
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #8

OEM use butyl. So does the windshield replacement folks. Why? Silicone bond does not last to fiberglass or painted metal. Silcone seals will look intact but after a year or less you can usually lift it away from metal or fiberglass easily -so water can easily migrate under it. Butyl will remain soft and adherent for a few years or more depending on sunlight and heat extreme cycling.
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote