Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Wireless Temperature Monitor Install

I first saw this in Calclimber's van, and the location is a copy of his install. There is more http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=374

Here's my install:

I had trouble getting the holes straight so I wound up using a few small drill screws on a 12" 1/4 ratchet extension, as I could extend a phillips bit doing this. Great plan until the second hole and the cheapo drill screw broke off.

The aluminum is pretty easy to work with but you have to be careful not to wallow things out. Here is the monitor strapped in. I added a velcro strap under the bracket as this allows insurance against bouncing out. I also decided to use the bracket and velcro so I can easily remove the sensor and use it anywhere.

My worst fear was poking through the front of the plate. As you can see the install is invisible as I managed to use short enough screws. I haven't put the monitor up yet as I need some velcro from Lowe's.

The bracket was actually very strong and I considered just letting it ride, but visions of my sensor bumping down the road at 75 or falling out on some dirt road led me to add the velcro. Of course it's all supported by two small screws in aluminum, so we'll have to see how those hold up.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #2

Update Monitor Install

I velcroed this to the wall, probably should have used white velcro for a cleaner look. I'll change it out later.

Nice big numbers. I was a little worried about the transmission as when this unit was laying on the floor directly below it couldn't receive the remote sensor signal. Works fine up here though.

You can almost read it from the driver's seat. It depends a bit on glare, but I think I'm going to make a velcro wedge that I can change the angle with. That is when I can unpack my miter saw and cut one.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:40 PM   #3

I really like the large readout and can see it decently from the driver's seat by craining my neck, however the alignment between the sensor and the panel is just perfect to be blocked by my fat head whenever I'm in the 50 bench seat. Even when I'm laying down it seems to block the signal. It comes back almost immediately if I move out of the way, but there doesn't seem to be an out of the way if I'm in the seat or the bed.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #4

Garage
"Wallow things out"?

Is that the technical term? I hope we can start using layman's terms around here. Not everyone is a rocket scientist AND website dsigner.

I love it!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM   #5

Re: Wireless Temperature Monitor Install

As an update the reading of the external unit has gotten worse. It's basically unusable in the current location. The external unit transmits fine as far as I can tell, and the wall unit will read it in other places (such as dropped in the passenger side shelf above the bed) but from wall to internal tire it is rare to even see a reading.

So in a future project I'm going to relocate the external sensor but I haven't decided on a place yet.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #6

Jage,

I did a MUCH cheaper version of that install and have since come to the same conclusion. The transmitter/receiver just wouldn't consistently read from that location (I used super strong double faced tape to test it).

I did relocate the transmitter to the underside of the penthouse top in the back. Its out of the weather and I think the outside temp readings are pretty accurate when the top is up but not when its down and we are going down the road. I seem to remember your van has a ladder right? Mine doesn't but I'm wondering if there is an install point under a step or something? If you find a good spot, I'm all ears beacuse I want one that I can read going down the road.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

I superglued mine to the inside of he propane/water access/electric hookup door. The only downside is when I have to replace the batteries in the sender unit (haven't gotten there yet). I got a cheap unit from Fred Meyer's (now, in Utah, Smith's Marketplace), and will probably replace the whole thing if I have to destroy the sender when I go to replace the batteries.

John
slfjas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #8

I put my exterior sensor in a sealed bag and put it behind the front license plate mounting bracket (a shaped piece of plastic that is screwed to the front bumper). The inside sensor/display out is between the sun visors. Inside sensor/display is mounted with Velcro can be moved to mid-cabin when we are in one place for awhile. It works fine. Mounted up front makes it easy for both of us to see while driving.

I believe this is our 3rd year for the sensor. Gives good readings while on the road but can give false readings if parked facing the sun and on asphalt on sunny days.

Readout is above rear view mirror and between sun visors. Easy for both driver and co-pilot to see.

Sending unit is behind gray plastic license plate mounting bracket. Put it in sealed plastic bag for weather protection and "dropped" it in.

Note that the grill in this pic also is covered with 1/2 inch screening. Put that on for our Alaska trip and took it off when we got home. Blends in fairly well.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:22 PM   #9

I use the same unit and have one remote in the refrigerator which is the temperature we normally monitor (along with the "inside the van" temperature). I mounted our receiver unit on the forward end of the long storage shelf just below the top of the van side on the driver's side (EB-50 layout)...the unit is thus just behind the driver's head and is readable by the passenger (I can read it if I'm at a stop sign and turn far enough around). We have an outside thermometer built-in to the rear view mirror so we don't need the outside temperature except at times when we want to know the outside temperature and the ignition is off...like the first thing in the morning when we are trying to figure out whether to put on shorts or long pants. (The maximum and minimum outside temperatures are also nice to know for no particular reason.)

For the outside temperature, I initially put the outside sender unit near the propane tank but heat from the road made the temperature inaccurate except long after we parked. I currently have the outside sender under the hood secured to the formed steel panel which supports the radiator. But this location is somewhat susceptible to engine heat although the receiver gets the signal reliably. A location inside the front grill might make a better location although it would be difficult to get to the unit to replace the battery. (Our sender currently isn't working but I suspect that it just needs a new battery.) I thought about a place under the penthouse but worried about how to secure it....it would seem to be a good place for an accurate reading when stopped...
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 PM   #10

I just got new batteries and I'm trying a new location for the sending unit. I placed it in the (unused) license plate cavity behind my jerry can swing out. I know its not that different from Jage's and my earlier placement behind the spare tire but maybe with a little less metal in between it will work better. Will report success or failure in a fe weeks/days.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote