Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #1

Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

FYI: Mercedes and I had Quigley ship their modified Chevy rotors (so the Ford
sensor fits) on
our 2000 7.3 PSD to The Brake Man for his company's proprietary thermal
processing and
also replaced the pads with theirs. While this is not the full Storm System
that Sportsmobile
makes available on their new models, this is a good upgrade. I enjoyed talking
with the
developer Warren Gilliland and watching while his number two man - Bob Rooney
did the
replacement at their facility about an hour north of Los Angeles. 35 years of
motor racing
experience is behind the products.

Since we are the first Sportsmobile Quigley that they've delved into, they are
now confident
that those of us with the Quigley system can get improvements through them. You
can call
Bob or Warren at 805-987-7867 with specfiic questions and/or reach them through
their
website at TheBrakeMan.com - Our original Quigley rotors were indeed stout, but
Western
Mountains and Baja back roads took their toll. Jim

oldemettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:12 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
RE:Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Oldemettle,

Can you say that you've seen any braking performance improvements over your original brakes?? Or is the treatment more of a longevity improvement?

I've got a Quigley that's going to need new rotors and pads soon. I've never been happy at all with the braking performance (even when it was new) so I'm looking to do a brake upgrade of some sort but Quigley hasn't been helpful in suggesting anything. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Anyway, let us know if you feel there is a performance improvement with that cyro treament the brake man did.

Thanks,

Randy
Boulder, CO
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #3

Brake Upgrade

Randy,

Braking is improved over the original rotors and pads in freeway panic stops and zippy LA street traffic (we only replaced the fronts). We haven't been on any long mountain trips yet, but are feeling confident as the rotors that Quigley uses are massive and now with the heat treatment, we'll eliminate the frequent warping that we experienced from Colorado, Utah, Baja and The Lost Coast trips.

I know that The Ventura County's Paramedic E-350's use the "Super Brake" upgrade on their rigs. The paramedic unit's original pads and rotors were wearing brake pads and rotors out quickly. Rears were wearing out every 18,000 miles and the fronts every 14,000 miles. Next door to the Brakeman's headquarters in an industrial park is an engineering firm that does studies in vehicle accidents and Warren and Bob rattled off the statistics (which I don't recall) from a mini-study that they did for them on their shop van's brakes.

The Brake Man claims that cryogenics only hardens the rotor surface, but doesn't provide stress relief because the treatment is brief. His proprietary thermal process is like four days long and he says this eliminates internal stress. I extrapolate that he sends the rotors to an aerospace firm in the San Fernando valley where this process is actually done for him.

We are the first Quigley for the Brake Man's product, so we'll see the results as time goes by. BTW, Mercedes spent a summer in Boulder at the National Center for Atmospheric Research - great area.

Best,
Jim
oldemettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #4

Re: RE:Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanton
Randy
Boulder, CO
Randy,

I am also in Boulder County (Coal Creek Canyon) and have a Quigley conversion. I'd love to check out your rig sometime and keep in touch with braking options for these frequent trips over the divide. I have already warped my rotors from hard braking coming down from Summit County and would like to explore more options for longevity and improved performance.

Adam
Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to stanton
Re: RE:Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
I am also in Boulder County (Coal Creek Canyon) . . .
Hey Adam. It is possible we've already met.. But I don't think so. I met a couple (and their big dog) from Coal Creek Canyon at the Silverton Rally last year. I don't remember for sure but I thought they had one of the newer SMBs -- a white EB I think. Could that be you or do you know them?

Anyway I've got a 2001 Quigley 7.3L PSD RB 50. Like I said I'm looking to upgrade the brakes rather than just replace the pads. So far I'm not having a ton of luck finding something that I am confident will be much better. I'll keep this thread posted if I find something. This Brakeman think seems worth looking into.

Also, I'll send this post to you with the e-mail option so you can get in touch with me outside of this site if you want to meet some time. I do a lot of local trips all year long.

Randy
stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #6

Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

1) Old thread but really would love any feedback to see if TBM rotors and pads are worth the effort.

Based on a quick online search it appears the front rotors are raybestos #5048 machined for abs sensor clearance. A $50 rotor but Quigley and The Brake Man sells them for $150 each.

http://autoplicity.com/products/2531586 ... fgodBxkAoQ

2) Has anyone had success buying rotors and pads outside of Quigley and TBM and confirm the correct part # and machining needed on the rotors as well as the correct pads?

Per Quigley Pads are Bendix MKD-149. A $30 pad that Quigley sells for $83 and TBM sells for $100 (supposedly their special blend).

http://autoplicity.com/products/354261- ... fgoduHwACw
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Re: Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

They may be a modified stock item, such as a stock rotor re-drilled to the proper bolt pattern. Then again, it could be expensive just because they can and figure most people won't do the research.

Herb
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

Ocsmb, those links don't indicate that the BrakeMan rotors are made by Raybestos? I might be wrong but Raybestos owns a lot of companies, including Dana Spicer. So, maybe they own BrakeMan and/or the outfit that bought them out, TBM.

Anyhow, the info I got from BrakeMan was that "their rotors receive a complete thermal treatment that affects the entire rotor structure, not just the surface. Their density means the rotor face is generally worn significantly less and in most cases the rotors can be used for multiple sets of brake pads."

A bunch of mumbo jumbo? Perhaps but I have 82,000 miles on their rotors and I'm just now about to replace the pads.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #9

Links are just the Raybestos parts that I believe are the replacement Quigley parts not TBM parts. Although I'm wondering if TBM simply takes those Raybestos rotors and sends it off for the thermal treatment.

Either way I'm glad you have had success with TBM rotors. Pretty sure mine are warped. Got incredible shudder driving down hill and getting on the brakes. Quite nerve racking. Mines a 2002 btw.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I went with frozen slotted rotors on the front and hawk LTS pads all around and Derek (CCV) had the rotors re drilled locally to 8X6.5
http://www.frozenrotors.com/?ls_fronten ... bf4e179f6f

Big improvement
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote