Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #1

House Battery Project 2 of 3

Well if you're looking for the first installment you'll be sadly disappointed. This is just the middle of rectifying my separate "twin" 4Ds. To review, I purchased an ATV jack and removed the single Lifeline from under the van, bought some angle iron, cut and welded it up. That brings us to today, where I marked for attachment holes and removed the second 4D from inside the van.

Ohh, I wonder what these are.

The new rack being fit. The yellow was to mark the holes for drilling.

Art shot. Hey, I think I'll enter the PHOTO CONTEST since it ends tomorrow.

The rack pre-paint.

Oh- THAT was in the package. The cardboard tubes are shipping material, just left on to keep me from doing something stupid.

The other chore was to remove the second battery from where SMB Texas added it.

Sealed inside in a battery box.

Wiring. Obviously, let's just go a** wild and use the WHOLE storage space.

Top removed from the battery box. That looks an awful lot like a DEKA and not like the matching Lifeline that I thought I was buying. Also, the Xantrex panel keeps telling me I don't have a temperature sensor installed. That yellow thing under the Aluminum tape is the wrong model for my inverter and my guess is installed incorrectly (it's supposed to be on the battery post).

Of note, the battery box was "sealed" all around with bits of wood and silicone- the silicone came away from the box plastic like nothing- it was the perfect mold, not sticky or attached in any way... problem being, if it wasn't sticky, it wasn't sealed. All the bits came off like this- they were just resting in the slots.

I have a new project to deal with those wires now as part of reclaiming my storage, however, apart from dealing with the terminal battery wires nothing here affects the battery project. I'd intended to just leave the battery wires, but I might salvage them for the underneath connection, even though the terminals don't match.

Can't complain about the panel being removable. While I need it for the bed, it's nice to know that if I ever need to work here in the future there is already a cut piece that gives pretty good access.

Lastly, the battery that was removed in the non-existant Part I. This POS has been disconnected for nearly 6 months as triage for the ongoing battery problems. I've got nothing against Lifeline, but I'm convinced that SMB Texas never tested it and it was bad when they installed the other one. C'est la vie.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #2

Re: House Battery Project 2 of 3

Width of old Lifeline battery at base: 8"
Width of old tray: 8 1/4"
Width of added tray: 8 1/4"

Good work pays off, double checking the measurements gave me the exact size.

Now, that it's all welded up, drilled and painted...

Width of new Deka battery:

8 3/8"

D'oh!
Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
D'oh!
That reads like one of my postings.

Welding question. If you're welding onto the frame do you take any precautions to protect the van electronics? Just curious.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVvan
Quote:
D'oh!
That reads like one of my postings.

Welding question. If you're welding onto the frame do you take any precautions to protect the van electronics? Just curious.
Wow good question. Open the pod bay doors HAL....I'm sorry Dave....

My question is I noticed the batteries sitting on pallets and not the cement...Jage you're not one of those guys that still believes cement will ground out the batteries

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote