Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #1

Check your door pantry- hinges pulling out!

The door pantry is to me one of the iconic and irreplaceable parts of my Sportsmobile. Lately the hinges have been loose, and I thought it was a mere matter of tightening- the real problem was hidden behind the door panel.

Top pulled out and body hammer of choice.

Beat back in, did not take much- one moderate blown and some shaping (luckily to be covered).

This metal is really thin and flimsy. After fixing the lower pull out, a crack and a rip in the metal was revealed.

Much worse than I thought, even with the panel off.

Hardware of choice, really just some brackets I had around.

Test fitting upper, this is the smaller of the two bars.

Test fitting lower- Originally fit to the seam, but with the crack I drilled the other hole to back that section a bit.

Drilled and some of the backing hardware. The 1/4" 1" washers were exactly like the previous ones, which had tented and pulled out with the door. So the large center grade 8s are just to back the weaker larger washers (despite the brackets on the same side).

Upper in place. The idea is simply to provide as much backing as possible without getting fancy.

Lower in place. Not as much backing, but again I was just looking for maximum backing without too much difficulty or special brackets.

Back in place. Word to the wise, my upper and lower hinges were different- not sure if it's wear, or alignment, but each fit only in the correct hinge pocket in the pantry... a fact I discovered after putting it all together for the first time.

One nice side effect that jwintersteller told me about was that the latching problem of the side door top was fixed by the stiffening through bracing these pieces. John did his with a stronger L bracket, so I was very happy that my slipshod brackets also stiffened the door enough to overcome the closing issue.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Check your door pantry- hinges pulling out!

The screws in the hinge that holds the table up on my door pantry fell out in the first few months I had my used SMB. I was shocked at how tiny the screws were that SMB used to hold the hinge in place. I replaced them with much wider and longer screws. Sadly the screws were slightly too long so now I have a bulge in the top of the pantry where the screw started to come through.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #3

That looks like it should do the trick. Good job!
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Jage,

You are talking about the rr side door cabinet? That cabinet can swing out on the door?? Would seem a piano hinge design would be the ultimate hinge....if one could be made to fit.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenS
You are talking about the rr side door cabinet? That cabinet can swing out on the door?? Would seem a piano hinge design would be the ultimate hinge....if one could be made to fit.
One of the nice features is the pantry (rr side door cabinet...) is that it is easily removable. The pins shown in the last photo fit into cups the same shape that are metal and welded to/part of the greater cabinet frame.

The design is plenty strong, the weakness is in the door metal. It wouldn't hurt to support the bottom of the cabinet when closed- I have a 1/2" rubber mat that would be perfect- for going offroad where you are probably going to get the most force against the hinges and door face.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #6

Good fix Jage. I was having similar problems and did this http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic. ... ley#p47858 mod. Takes most of the weight off the hinges and also stops the door from popping open at the top.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #7

I put some pretty stout steel strap or possibly angle (would have to look to refresh my memory what I put in) as backing to the hinges a few years ago. The pantry was being used as a step to get up to the bed by my kids and was clearly not up to the task. I haven't thought about it again since the repair until seeing your post. This is definitely a good place to add some rigidity.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #8

Thanks for the writeup. I went out and checked mine, sure enough the hinges were pulling the door metal out. I used some flat stock to re-enforce it and all is good as new.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote