Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

New SMB Owner: 93 Ford E250 2x4

Hi Guys-

I wanted to drop in and "show my face" so that I can start posting questions right away!

Just the other day I purchased a Ford E250, 2x4, SMB with 128K down in FL (same 93 another poster asked about a few months back). After putting a $500 deposit to hold the van, a buddy of mine and I flew down to Daytona Beach FL to check it out and baring any major undisclosed issues, drive it back to Central/Northern NJ.

We arrived in Daytona at 1:30pm on Thursday and after kicking the tires and signing some papers we were on our way out by 3:30pm making a bee-line for Edisto Beach in S. Carolina. We pulled into the camp site at ~11pm, popped the top (wow what a pleasure to be all set up in less than a few minutes) had a celebratory beer and then promptly passed out (our day had started at 4am).

I woke up at 6am to this this:

After a quick camp site shower and a walk on the beach, we de-popped the top and headed out on our 13hr treck home. I'm happy to report we made it without incodent!

The dealer had disclosed that the van had an exhaust leak at the passenger side manifold, but claimed everything else checked out fine. And from what we could tell, aside from the sloppy steering everything does seem to be fine. The interior is immaculate for it's age; it could pass for a couple years old. Of course it has it's share of minor little imperfections, but having such a clean interior, a completely rust free body/chassis and a solid pop top with very new looking fabric, it's really hard not to look past the bubble wrap in the side view mirrors that keep them from shaking

The SMB will double as a family RV for camping and my toy (VW Corrado track car and enclosed 14ft trailer) haller a few times a year.

Without even enjoying it yet, I'm ready to make some changes. Pull the rear AC (although I do really like having the AC) raise it, ditch the aluminum step sides, add a front bumper light bar, maybe add some sort of graphic wrap to help break up the massive amount of off-white and bolt up some black wheels wrapped with 31/32's.

Questions (I've already done quite a bit of searching with poor results thus far)

1. Are there any good shops out here on the east coast that are familiar with van lifts? I've seen a few of the lift kits that are available, but everyone seems to be out in the west.

2. What's a good, alternative (read: non ghetto looking) AC solution? Are roof mounts a good solution?

3. Where can I find light bars and step bars for the econoline van?

4. Anyone know where I can source "vintage" interior parts for a 93 E250? The passenger seat belt shroud is busted. The two front door pulls could use a refresh. I'll also need a passenger side rear cargo door glass

Here's a couple pics posted by the dealer in the original ad.

track toy

Thanks for reading

Old 05-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

Re: New SMB Owner: 93 Ford E250 2x4

Thanks for the report/pics and congrats on the new SMB.

The interior really is in mint condition. Great find.

R
Old 05-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Please, please, please tell me you're naming it Vanilla...

Rear air is tough, I would get an older van replacement window that pops out in that location and try to see if you can live with a fantastic fan mount in a window.

A 4x4 shop should be able to handle a kit like the Camburg, such that they don't have to figure things out from scratch. Somebody just posted about some 2wd kits.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:23 AM   #4

thanks for the replies.

Spending a lot of time doing my research, but I have yet to come across a moderate 2wd lift for a reasonable price. Doesn't anyone make a 3" lift kit - more or less to accommodate a bigger wheel/tire package? Seems like all the kits out there are 6".

I found the side steps everyone seems to be running. Surprisingly Amazon seems to carry them in pairs and in singles for the wide step at the side door.

Also came across this front light bar which I thought was a reasonably affordable for what you get

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/product ... uctID/3707

Of course I already have my wheel/tire package selected. Seems like most 2wd guys are able to get away with 265/75/16's on stock suspension (with minor rubbing). I would love to find a 3" lift for the front though.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I wonder if U Joint off road would do a 2WD lift? Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
UJOR
66B Fletcher Commercial Dr
Fletcher NC 28732

chris@ujointoffroad.com

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I wonder if U Joint off road would do a 2WD lift? Guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
UJOR
66B Fletcher Commercial Dr
Fletcher NC 28732
chris@ujointoffroad.com
thanks, Dave. I shot an email over to Chris to see if there is something that can do for me.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #7

Some 4600# front springs gave me a 1.5" front lift, and I later added a couple leafs to my rear spring pack, using F350 springs as a donor.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #8

Maxx-lift.com

They sell a 2" spacer specific to the E-250/350. $70+ S&H. This should let you run a 32" tire. If you lift it much more without drop brackets you may have problems getting the camber right.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Some 4600# front springs gave me a 1.5" front lift, and I later added a couple leafs to my rear spring pack, using F350 springs as a donor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
Maxx-lift.com
They sell a 2" spacer specific to the E-250/350. $70+ S&H. This should let you run a 32" tire. If you lift it much more without drop brackets you may have problems getting the camber right.
awesome - I'll look into both, thanks!

here's a quick photoshop of what I have in mind in the relative near future. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the wheel I like in the correct perspective for photoshop purposes.

black bumpers
black grill
remove alum step sides
add CARR black steps
16" black Ultra wheels
BFG ATA's (possibly 265/75)
teal "Sportsmobile" logo (to embrace the teal interior)
2" rear spacers (possibly from Fred at wheeladaper.com)

I think it's a pretty respectable transformation

Old 06-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #10

I finally started digging into the van last night for the first time - see my other thread if you know anything about exhaust manifold gaskets.

gaining access to the front bolts of the manifold required pulling the passenger front tire. To my surprise I found brand new calipers, rotors, pads, brake lines, fresh grease on all the tie rod ends, etc, etc. Someone really took good care of this van. I'm gonna do my best to do the same.

notice the sticker and fresh rust as well as in tact slide boots and brakes line covers.