Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Do you have gas?

I do. So I rigged up a propane fueled generator to carry with me. I spent too much money and time and totally voided the warranty on a new generator, but what else is new? Can't make vichyssoise without peeling some taters.

Running quietly with nearly zero odor.

Simple to use connector on tank.

Regulator with load block (needle valve) on top. Theoretically I can adjust the mixture for any temperature and/or altitude. Yet to try either extreme yet.

Fits nicely in deluxe box.

So far so good. I'm most happy with the convenience of not having to carry gasoline with me--although it will still run on that too--, and the fact that it generates (get it?) nearly no smell. When on gasoline, the generator produces shocking levels of smelly exhaust fumes. I've heard small engines like this produce more pollution than a large truck. Not any more.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 PM   #2

Re: Do you have gas?

Zeta-

Nice setup, and nice not to have to haul a gas can. How was the cost of the Yamaha compared with the similar sized Honda?

Also (off topic), how to the Toyo tires compare with the Goodyears on your previous van?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

That is a very clean job! I don't have propane on my van but I am restoring an old Airstream where something like that would come in very handy. What is the out put on that unit?
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

It's a 2000W generator.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #5

Nice job. I ran an F150 on propane for 22 years and other than it being really hard on valve seats, found propane to be a wonderful motor fuel. Your genset will probably never see enough hours to worry about the valve seats.

As for polluting more than a large truck, any 2010 and newer truck emits ZERO pollution. You can actually breathe the exhaust! Of course they are about 40% less efficient than trucks were 15 years ago, but that's a whole different story.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

"As for polluting more than a large truck, any 2010 and newer truck emits ZERO pollution. You can actually breathe the exhaust! Of course they are about 40% less efficient than trucks were 15 years ago, but that's a whole different story."

Sorry, but I think if anyone chooses to do a little bit of basic research, you'll find that both those statements are completely wrong. I don't want to start an argument about pollution but there is no such thing as a Zero emissions ICE. They all emit pollutants at some level and while these have certainly improved over the years they are still significant sources of pollutants. See <http://www.hybridcars.com/emissions-standards.html> for a small start, <http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/cafe/CAFE-GHG_MY_2012-2016_Final_Rule_FR.pdf> if you want a slightly more weighty read.

Secondly, engines have become significantly MORE efficient at burning gasoline over the last 15 years, not less efficient. The reason why fuel consumption has not gone down much is because we are driving heavier, more powerful vehicles with far more complex ancillary equipment.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #7

OK. I was talking about Large highway trucks, your reference to gasoline makes me think you are talking about pick up trucks

Large bore diesels emit some pollution, but after the Urea does it job, the exhaust is clean. Since the exhaust system is part of an engine system, it makes for a clean engine. It is not hyperbole to state that the exhaust on a modern Diesel engine is breathable.

1996 was the highwater mark for fuel efficient trucks. 7.5 MPG was not uncommon, in 2011, 5.5 is very common.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by witoke
"As for polluting more than a large truck, any 2010 and newer truck emits ZERO pollution. You can actually breathe the exhaust! Of course they are about 40% less efficient than trucks were 15 years ago, but that's a whole different story."

Sorry, but I think if anyone chooses to do a little bit of basic research, you'll find that both those statements are completely wrong. I don't want to start an argument about pollution but there is no such thing as a Zero emissions ICE. They all emit pollutants at some level and while these have certainly improved over the years they are still significant sources of pollutants. See <http://www.hybridcars.com/emissions-standards.html> for a small start, <http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/cafe/CAFE-GHG_MY_2012-2016_Final_Rule_FR.pdf> if you want a slightly more weighty read.

Secondly, engines have become significantly MORE efficient at burning gasoline over the last 15 years, not less efficient. The reason why fuel consumption has not gone down much is because we are driving heavier, more powerful vehicles with far more complex ancillary equipment.

pwned!

2009 Modified RB21 E350 4X4 6.0L Diesel
CascadeWalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to MikewTV
Do you have gas?

Oooh! I want one, I want one! (I just dont want to do the work)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

I had no idea this was even possible, but thinking about it, stupid of me not to realize. Care to give some details on how you did it? I assume you are running the propane into the carb through a vacuum pipe off the carb, and since the engine is on full tilt all the time, you don't need to worry too much about changing the mix because there is no varying of the load on the engine. But depending on the carb, this may also not be an issue as the vacuum will increase anyway. But how are you modifying the propane delivery?, you have to at least stop / start the delivery at a minimum, or do you do this manually?
I'm going to have to do some reading up on this, it's very interesting.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote