Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #1

Starting Batteries

Has anyone found a better battery then the Ford Group 65's for the two starting batteries on the 6.0 diesel?
I destroyed one on the rough roads here in Baja but a friend coming down from the States brought me a new Ford one (warranty) so I'm up and running OK.
But, when I get back Stateside I'd like to replace both of 'em with something better. I've been using Optima for years in other rigs, but was wondering if anyone else has installed them in an SMB and if so, how do they fit? Hold down brackets?? Need to weld something up for that? Ideas???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

I'm quite happy with the stock Ford batteries. 3 1/2 years and almost 50K miles and no problems with the batteries. When they fail, I'll probably replace them with the same batteries.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

I keep hearing that Optimas aren't what they used to be and the name no longer means good batteries. I'm trying to decide what to put in my van as well.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:03 PM   #4

Starting battery

The original Ford batteries lasted around 5 years. Based on Consumer Reports recent review, I recently installed two two from NAPA. Seems like I find a good battery, but, unfortunatly, by the time I need a new one the whole lineup in terms of quality changes because the suppliers change manufacturers. I was interested in Optima, but heard the same thing --- not what they used to be. In my other vehicle, I've been using a Les Schwab battery with good success, but they tell me their batteries are now from Johnson Controls instead of Exide. We'll see how the NAPA's hold up.[/quote]
Old 02-24-2008, 10:20 PM   #5

Apart from the Optima I put in my Jeep last year (Blue top no complaints) I've always been a fan of the Wal-Mart battery. They usually don't even test 'em if you take them in and say "this is bad" they'll do the warranty.

I kind of wanted to go a little better on the van.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 AM   #6

Yeah, I hear what everybody's saying. I will look around when I get back up north, but I really want sealed batteries. The batteries are just too hard to get to under the van to check and clean and the ones I have really made a mess with spilled acid. I've never had a problem with Optima, but am also concerned with the quality reports.
Thanks for the input guys!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
When Ford screwed me, I took the van to a buddy that owns a shop where he tested the van and found the problem. His statement (I can't varify) was that Delco is the best out there, and are covered by a 3 year warrantee. Also I went to 850 cranking amps from Ford 750's. Took about 45 min with a floor jack. He also had qualms about the newer optima series.
Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #8

I'm running a newer Optima in my off-road buggy. Lots of desert abuse. The battery is the only thing that never fails.

For some reason, mine came with an Interstate deep cycle under the hood. I'll be replacing it with an Optima red top without a doubt.

I will note that we were running a Wal-Hell branded battery in our former buggy (made by Johnson Controls). It held up well including when some unknown person "borrowed" it for an extended period of time and reinstalled it thinking we wouldn't notice. He hooked it up backwards. Still, even with that, in a very abusive environment, it lasted nearly five years (including being allowed to discharge for around six months per year when we'd leave the buggy in Baja).

My experience with Exide is not a good one. I used to live in northern ND where it can get to 100 below (with wind chill). Exides didn't handle those extremes well at all. We're talking decades back, mind you. Interstate batts seemed to be one of the better ones back then (and Delco). They are nowhere what they once were, in my opinion.

Edit: Switched my underhood to a Optima Yellow Top. $200 and change delivered from Summit Racing. Fits great.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #9

Well people, I began haveing the same wierd stuff happening with my electrical starting system, so I took it in to my local Ford dealership and at my insistance, they tested the batteries in the rig. They said the batteries were not the problem and they didn't know what it was. I told them that I was pretty sure it was the front battery as the same thing happened to me in Baja and it was the rear one which I replaced. I said that seeing as how I had just driven it 25 miles it probably was showing good as it was charged from driving and that the second good battery was helping out on the test. I was again told that NO it was not a battery problem and that if I wanted to leave the rig overnight, they would test it again the next morning. I told 'em no thanks, I would take care of it myself. So, I dropped the batteries a couple of days ago and sure enough, the front battery really flunked the load test. Arggggg! Some people are alive only 'cause it's against the law to kill them!!
So, I bit the bullet and called Summit Racing in Sparks at 2:00 in the afternoon and the toy man dropped two Optimas on my doorstep at noon the next day.
Just installed them and they fit like they had eyes.
Here's what I did:

This is the bad one. Kind of a mess, but you should have seen the one that failed in Baja.

Here's the new Optima yellow top #D34

The side clips are needed to use the stock Ford mount in the battery box. They snap in the two holes in the battery.

Here's the clip snapped in place. One needed on each side.

Here's the new battery mounted in the stock box. Fits fine.

The only hassle was after I got the battery boxes bolted in place, the negative cable was too short to reach the mounting bolt where it fastens to the frame. This is due to the fact that the Optimas are not as long as the standard Group 65's. So, I just drilled and tapped another hole in the frame and mounted it in a new location. If I had realized this would be a problem, I could have moved the Optima to the rear of the battery box rather then in the center. But, it was a lot easier to put in a new mounting hole then to drop the battery box again. Maybe it's just me, but that is a miserable job.
Anyway when all done the rig started just fine and I guess time will tell if the Optimas will do better then the Ford batteries. Best I can figure is that all the rough washboard roads I travel (maybe too fast? Nahhhh) did some damage inside the batteries. The charging system is stock and all voltages are good, so don't know what else it could be.
So, tomorrow I'm going back to Ford and drop the bad battery on the counter and get a new one under warranty. I don't know what I'll do with it, but I'm going to get my pound of flesh!!

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #10

I think you will be very happy with the Optimas. I have heard lots of talk on this forum and the Jeep forum that "Optimas aren't what they used to be" but no one seems to have any first hand experience with them failing. I have two in my Jeep Wrangler a red top for starting and a yellow top to run refer and other things. Over the last 2 1/2 years they have traveled over 50K miles, a lot of it off road or in Mexico, and I have never had any problems with them. I am glad to hear they fit in the existing battery boxes because when my starting batteries fail I will be replacing them with Optimas.

John