Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #1

house batter

It's time to replace my house battery (2002 Ford diesel 4x4) which has held up remarkably well since initial purchase. Wholesale Batteries Direct has a UB4D AGM 12V 200Ah Battery for $369.95 with free shipping. This looks like an awesome deal to me. Two questions.... First of all, this is the right battery isn't it and second of all, is the replacement straightforward enough that a strong person with the right jack and basic automotive repair knowledge could do the job?
Thanks in advance for any useful replies.

Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: house batter

The original was prob a lifeline, I replaced mine several years ago with a deka(east penn). The specs look right on that one you found, however, it looks like it is their "budget" line made overseas(being politically correct here), I would not put it in my rig, it looks like they carry lifeline as well, that's what I would recommend, more $$, but not something that I would go cheaper on. Plus, once you've replaced one of those 4D's, you're not going to want to do it again any time soon after that cheap one craps out in a year.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #3

Garage

I have had batteries from different manufacturers have different terminal arrangements, which made it more difficult to get the cables hooked back up.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM   #4

Well it looks like it is the same thing that is being put into Sportsmobiles right now.
http://www.sportsmobilestore.com/ub4...200ah-battery/. That said, I have had such good luck with my lifeline battery that it would be hard to convince myself the price would be worth it.
-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

how many years did you get out of your house battery before it needed to be replaced. Replacement was based on decreased Ah capacity?

My present batteries started off at 230Ah (spec sheet values) and are new down to 30% from that value (measured). Batteries are 2 months short of 5 years old. I would like to get 1-2 more years out of them.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM   #6

We got seven years out of our original Lifeline. We keep plugged in to shore power when parked at home. We also tend to move every day when on a trip, so the battery wasn't deeply discharged on a regular basis. We finally had to replace it when voltage would drop really low on cold mornings (low enough that the espar wouldn't run).

As far as replacing, I managed it with the help of a cheap transmission jack that I picked up at Harbor Freight. The jack was essential since our battery is tucked up in front of the rear diff. I took one look at it and figured that not using a transmission jack was probably a good way to visit the local ER. Replacement was straightforward, and I'm about as mechanically inept as they come.

-- gordon
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:23 PM   #7

I also am a total doofus and mechanically challenged but with help from a friend and a floor jack I was able to switch out 2 4D AGM without causing any permanent damage to my rig or myself. Those puppies are very heavy. Just be very careful not to touch the cables to any part of the undercarriage while installing and you should be fine. I have a 2007 Sprinter and drove the car onto some homemade wooden ramps to get the necessary clearance. Trust me...if I can do it ...anyone can, but spend the extra bucks and get the best battery available. The best price I found in Orange County CA was at: http://www.emergentbattery.com/#BATTERIES
stevepar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

I'm also a fan of the higher end batteries. The one thing that is important is the height and type of the lugs with respect to your battery tray and body. An inch difference might not seem like a problem but on some builds it can be.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Yes, the battery I found on line for $369 appears to be identical to the battery sold at the Sportsmobile e-store. In fact, that's why I was looking at it because I am otherwise unfamiliar with battery specs and terminology.

I am not opposed to paying more for a better battery but would need more than a brand name and a link to a battery company to do so. Could someone please provide specs for the battery I would want to buy? Am I correct in assuming that it would have blade terminals rather than automotive terminals? Etc. Etc. I want the replacement process to be as seamless as possible,
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Assuming you do have the standard lifeline GPL-4DL, then yes you would have blade terminals. See attached spec for both batteries. The important measurement is the base of the case, this is not given in spec of the UPG battery, but since the other measurements are very close, it probably will not be a issue. The also have different charge voltages, you would need to see how well your charger matches up with them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf UPG-UB4D-AGM.pdf (361.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: pdf GPL-4DL.pdf (76.3 KB, 25 views)
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote