Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #1

In dash DVD and back-up camera

I just completed what was possibly the most humbling project to date on my van. That dash was clearly never intended to come out once installed.

Beyond the pain in the a** to have to lower the steering column, just to pull the dash, the cigarette light wiring was so dang short, I wasn't sure I'd be able to I clasp the plugs --- I fought those for > 1 hour.

Then, the screws sent with the install kit were too short, so I removed the spacers to make screws fit, only to find out that without the spacers the stereo was recessed in the dash--- so off again with the dash.

Nothing else to report, but I needed to rant.

Fortunately, I was able to ground the parking wire to override the DVD function(for my passengers, not me) and the camera works.

2horsegarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Re: In dash DVD and back-up camera

What type of van? Yer profile is blank...

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

2011 E250.

It is done now, but what a pain. Or I'm lame.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #4

Thank you for giving me the confidence... to let a shop do it! I will be the first person to admit that I am electronically stupid. I have been dragging my feet on buying a new stereo/ monitor/ back up camera for the van because I don't know what I'm doing with install.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 PM   #5

Well, I didn't mean to scare you away. It's obviously possible --- I did it, and now that I've done it could probably write some decent instructions.

The hardest part was the tight fit of the lighter plugs. The actual electrical part was the easy part. If you decide to do it, pm me and I'll send you what I learned.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:14 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2horsegarage

The hardest part was the tight fit of the lighter plugs. The actual electrical part was the easy part. If you decide to do it, pm me and I'll send you what I learned.
Actually if you'd care to post your lessons here others might benefit too. While I've done my own single DIN radio swaps on the '07's and earlier the newer dashes might pose different challenges.

Besides we all like looking at other mods, its a combined envy and inspiration too!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Or even a picture? The older vans are really easy to work on the radio swap.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #8

Garage

I am thinking of installing a back up camera. I am considering wiring it to a constant source of power when the key is on so I could check it when not in reverse. Did you do it that way? If so what source of power did or would you use that is near the back of the van?
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #9

Garage

Most stereos that have camera capabilities allow you to manually turn the camera on when you are not reversing. My kenwood dnx7140 has this feature, hold the audio button down for about 3 seconds.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #10

I installed a double-DIN stereo on my 98 E250 and also my dad's 2012 E150. The older vans are way easier, to be sure. The 2012 was time-consuming, but not exactly hard. (But keep in mind I've done a lot of stereo installs over the years.) Kind of freaked my dad out to see the dash of his new van all torn apart, though! I should have thought to take pics while I was doing it.

I always recommend buying from Crutchfield. They may not be the cheapest, but they give you everything you need parts-wise as well as great, vehicle-specific directions.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote