Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #1

Airbag warning light will not illuminate

Weird problem in my van at the moment(1993 E250)....

The airbag warning light on the dash(right of the steering wheel, opposite the check engine light) will not illuminate. When I have the key in the accesory position everything else lights up fine except for this.

It wouldn't bother me much but I'm getting a series of beeps upon ignition that seem to be related to the light being out. Everything I've read online seems to indicate that a series of 5 beeps is an airbag related issue.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a bulb there that can actually be replaced?

Thanks,

BB

BrianBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 AM   #2

Re: Airbag warning light will not illuminate

Five beeps? a countdown to explosion?

No, but probably a burnt out light. They light up at start just to check they're working, then complain if they aren't. Or one that isn't going on for some other reason. IIRC the circuit includes sensors in the seats, so do a quick check of those. Replacing a bulb in the dash can be a real project, although probably easier on older vans.

Did you notice any blinking on the airbag light before it went permanently dark and the beeping started? On some cars where I tore out the airbags the lights would blink incessantly as the primary warning system, then when I yanked them I'd get beeps, the backup system. So it's possible there's a real fault in the airbag system that is more than just the light; but if it's burnt you'll have to replace it to get rid of the beeping in any case I suspect.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #3

Yep Rob's right on. If the light burns out (or is removed) then it beeps as a backup.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

I'm still dealing with this issue and am getting ready to pull the gauge cluster and see about putting a new bulb in there.

Trouble is.....figuring out how to remove it! I can't find a diagram/instructional anywhere. Anyone have any leads? The beeping is driving me nuts.

BB
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #5

You need a flat-blade to remove the headlight knob. Then there's some screws above the cluster and behind the cup holder lip and adjacent trim piece (trim pops off), finally you just pry the dash out after all the screws are out. You will need to put the steering wheel all the way down and shift into "1" for clearance.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

Alright....I've finally made time to tear into this. I'd like to make it a 1 day affair without making runs to the store(I live in a rural area....store is a ways away).

Does anyone actually know what bulb I'll need?

BB
Old 03-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

Sounds as though you may have the bulb/beep connection sussed out. Just as possibly useful additional data, on my 1997 (which also had a passenger airbag as opposed to the 1996-older driver-only bag) airbag system faults were indicated by a two-set series of flashes of the airbag light upon vehicle start-up. I had no idea about any of this when I started getting flashes upon start up followed by solid light on when driving (normally it is off). Reading up, I found that it flashes two "numerals" in a row (the code), then repeats it (three times or something like that) and then the light goes solid. Solid means the airbag system is not functioning.

These codes are completely separate from OBD codes, and can be looked up online. Mine was an indication that the passenger seat connector was disconnected, and sure enough, when I re-seated it all went back to normal (it was prone to issues when swiveling seat around and it would get caught). I can't remember which code I had but it was something like "Three.... six" (i.e. three flashes, pause, six flashes; repeat a few times; then go to solid light).

This may not be your system or issue, but just figured I'd mention it in case it would help at all.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote