Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

Reunel bumper lights

I recently bought a set of Reunel bumpers secondhand. The front has the small Hella lights common to most Reunels I've seen, and the rear has the square lights also common to Reunels. I have not looked closely for the model numbers on either light. Anyway, I have no relays or any info on the lights. I am about to install the bumpers and am curious about them. Can anyone tell me what relays I need or anything else specific about these that would be different than any other accessory light? I would like to put the rears on a switch rather than on the reverse light circuit, but have no idea if it's common to add the small fronts to the high beam circuit or otherwise.

Any info helpful

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #2

Re: Reunel bumper lights

I always like putting lights on a switch so you can have them on at any situation. You might need just a little more light in certain situations, but not want to use your high beams (in fog?). I also learned first hand that you should wire up a relay every time you have anything that draws any decent amount of power. Those toggle switches aren't meant to handle much!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikracer
I always like putting lights on a switch so you can have them on at any situation. You might need just a little more light in certain situations, but not want to use your high beams (in fog?). I also learned first hand that you should wire up a relay every time you have anything that draws any decent amount of power. Those toggle switches aren't meant to handle much!
Thanks. That's what I've read today too in researching this. I'm still not sure what relay to buy but I'm thinking a 30amp SPDT from an auto parts store will do the trick. Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

30 amp will be overkill but will work. Just fuse at the battery to keep the current carrying wire out of the cab and only the control wire going into the cab to the switch. My rear bumper lights come on when in revers and I have a switch to turn when needed.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #5

I've had bad luck with the rear lights. They take direct rock hits from the rear tires. Next go around I'll probably go with some LED tractor lights, just the cheap square ones with the cast aluminum housing. For the most part, halogens don't have a durable housing, since they usually face forward.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
I've had bad luck with the rear lights. They take direct rock hits from the rear tires. Next go around I'll probably go with some LED tractor lights, just the cheap square ones with the cast aluminum housing. For the most part, halogens don't have a durable housing, since they usually face forward.
I'm assuming you mean hits on the back side of the light. Perhaps I should fab some kind of covers? Maybe just plastic flaps of something with some space around so they don't get hot?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #7

Maybe Robb knows? Those bumpers were originally transplanted from his current SMB. I believe there are a couple (few?) unused relays under the hood of our van but it's in NC so we can't look.

-John
Old 08-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandMandi
Maybe Robb knows? Those bumpers were originally transplanted from his current SMB. I believe there are a couple (few?) unused relays under the hood of our van but it's in NC so we can't look.

-John
The rear lights were just wired into the reverse lights, the fronts had a switch and relay (the cheapo switch).

I would definitely get a good switch (or two) and relays. Regular automotive accessory relays are available at any auto parts place. You need to wire a hot wire to the relay, and that can be from anywhere.. Keyed power, constant power, high beam, reverse lights, whatever. Wiring is easy:

rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #9

Yes, rock hits to the back of he light.

BTW - if you use the factory trailer backup wiring no relay is needed. It already has a relay and is fused for 30 amps. But, then you don't get direct control. Makes wiring easy though.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #10

My Hellas were SMB installed with the front ones on their own switch (I don't drive in fog very often but I always turn them on while driving on two-lane country roads...they are much like ditch lights on railroad diesel locomotives...approaching traffic can really see me coming and know not to pass!) The rear ones come on automatically when in reverse or can be manually turned on.

I have the original wiring diagram...I'll pm it to you.