Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Suberurban Furnace Blowing Fuse

Okay, I moved my suburban furnace (older 16k BTU unit) which was previously working flawlessly, now it blows the fuse and won't kick on. The reason I moved it was to suit my new floor plan, (RB50). It still uses the same exhaust holes though so my van doesn't look like swiss cheese. Any ideas?
Thanks

c7train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #2

Re: Suberurban Furnace Blowing Fuse

For it to work before and now blowing the fuse, it sounds like a hot wire is accidentally touching ground somewhere.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:49 AM   #3

a couple of questions,

is the fuse just blowing on insertion of the fuse, or do you have to actually turn the unit on?

How far did you move it, is it possible that you are binding the blower/fan?

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #4

The unit must be turned on for the fuse to blow, I checked the fan and it was bound, but then I took the back cover off so it was free and it still tripped the fuse. The fan turns free now and it still blows the fuse. Thanks for trouble shooting this with me. I called suburban, the lady was extremely UN-helpful.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
For it to work before and now blowing the fuse, it sounds like a hot wire is accidentally touching ground somewhere.
+1 on this. Also check for loose connections, which can make a fuse blow, too. And look for scraped/crushed/abraded wire insulation.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Wonder if you can disconnect the fan and see if the fuse blows. Maybe you cooked some windings???

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Wonder if you can disconnect the fan and see if the fuse blows. Maybe you cooked some windings???
That unfortunately was what I was thinking also. A couple of other things to check, as others have said obviously check the the wires, also in particular I remember when I moved mine that the ground was just attached to a metal part of the van, with a sheet metal screw. I thought mine was some what loose, so you might want to check that. I would expect the fuse to blow immediately if the power was directly shorted to ground, so that puts us looking at what happens when you turn it on. You also have the 12 volts coming from the furnace to the thermostat and back to furnace. This is the wire that will turn on the pick the relay that turns on the blower. It is possible that the return wire is shorted and thus you would not see it blow until you turned it on. I think the return is terminal 4 on the thermostat. It may be that the return is shorted to ground. The bigger problem may be that you burnt some windings on the motor when it was bound.

Hope this helps

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

You guys are awesome, I'll check all that and report back. It sure seems like a short. I'm using the same ground I used before (which worked fine for years), and even cleaned it better. The thermostat did not move, so hopefully that will check out okay. Maybe though your thoughts about a shorted wire in the mechanism. We'll see. Thanks again. I am REALLY trying not to spend another 5-hundo on a new set up, although it would be nice to have the 19k rig!
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #9

Well, I can't figure it. SO, I ordered a new one and will send this one back for service or something then sell it after it's fixed I guess. I'm right in the middle of this build (and camping season!) and need the van to have heat as the weather here is starting to get cold at night already. I'm interested to see what they find to fix on the fuse blowing rig. Stand by. Thanks again for all the help.