Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Boiled Battery?

Starters were bad again about 3 months ago, I had a shop put in NAPA batteries and drove it home. Later the alternator tested bad, but aside from driving it 40 minutes from the shop and moving it in the driveway I haven't run it.

Now, during replacing the alternator dropping the batteries showed the front one to be spitting out corrosion. I'm assuming this is from the alternator (and what ruined 4+ other sets of batteries). The question is, did cooking out 2tbsp of corrosion/corrosive wreck the batteries only being driven 40/45 minutes?

I also found out the shop cross threaded one of the battery box bolts so bad I had to sawzall it off and now need a new bolt and backplate. I'm fairly angry, not only was it expensive they seriously screwed me taking the batteries off in my driveway.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: Boiled Battery?

Time for a load test. But not at that same shop.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage

If the AGM's vented, that's not good cause usually they can handle a higher voltage hit. I'd bet the battery that vented (if it's a sealed wet cell car type) has a shorted cell and might of been low on water to begin with. Load test time like Herb said. Might be what took out the alternator regulator. It happened to me (more than once) and both times my house batteries were OK. Only once did it fry the alternator. I went through several starting batteries before finally switching to AGM starting batteries. But even those can vent and I hope you didn't go that far.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #4

figured I would post here instead of starting a new thread. I have been dealing with battery issues for a while now. Replaced the alternator almost a year ago and things seemed to be working well on the starting side, but the house battery would not hold a charge. This summer I replaced the house battery and had some tests done. Found no drain and the isolator seemed to be working as it should. I was using the van on a regular basis and did not have any problems with starting or house batteries.
Fast forward to the cold winter months... I am using the van less regularly and it is cold outside. The van sat for about a week and when I went to start it this morning it was dead. I have not replaced the starting batteries since I bought the van about 2 years ago. Not sure how old they are but I think it may be time to replace them. Any suggestions on what type of batteries to purchace would be welcomed. It is a 03 7.3.

Thanks!
LFFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

Cold will take batteries down and AGM'S are less affected by cold as far as damage goes so they can be recharged if they are too low to start after a hard freeze just let them thaw. It also makes sense to match your house style battery system to the starting system. Lot of people using Sears Platinum batteries (a re-badged Odyssey). You can get them all over and they have a 4 year warranty. You do need a AGM starting battery that can produce the necessary voltage and cranking amps like the Platinum series. Some facts on AGM's, mind you these are advertisements and specific to their batteries but good general info:
http://www.solar-electric.com/agm-batte ... ology.html
http://www.odysseybattery.com/design_advantages.aspx
http://support.rollsbattery.com/support ... m-charging

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #6

Boiled wet-cell battery can be topped off with more distilled water, if the caps come off.

AGM - nope. My Optima bulged at every cell when the alternator went out (not sure which went first...) and NAPA went ahead and warrantied it.