Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 AM   #1

Understanding the Sure Power 1315

I put together this video to hopefully help understand how the sure power 1315 works, and provide some additional circuits. I would appreciate any feedback, if this is found useful, I will try to create something similar for other common separators such as the Blue Sea 7622

greg

Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: Understanding the Sure Power 1315

Absolutely brilliant Greg! It took me a while to recognize that I was a visual-based learner, so seeing a demonstration is almost always much more valuable to me than reading a manual.

The only, very minor, suggestion I might make is when you are showing the Sure Power connectors (@ 2:08 mark) with color codes. You could draw lines between the key and the connectors rather than just relying on the color codes, in case someone is color blind.

Herb
Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Great production, Greg. Kinda over my head but this really did help. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #4

Scalf77: Great tutorial! Verbal, visual, static and dynamic. Can't get more learning modalities than that across the internet!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #5

Very well done!

It's funny that you just posted this because I spent a bunch of time just this last weekend getting my head around my SP separator system and then doing some tests with the different charge sources in the van (a lot like you did in the video) to convince myself I understood things correctly.

Now... someone needs to make a similar video tutorial on shifting the Atlas II, amiright?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Good one Greg. I made it a sticky. Those are some great mods and the way SMB should have set it up from day one. There are so many older vans out there that automatically connect during the engine start up and adding a momentary jump start switch is really the better route to go. I also bought a bypass switch but never installed it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #7

I am smarter thanks to you, now time to save some $ and then spend it lol
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #8

wow i just learned way more than i thought i would about electical systems. going to rest my brain now. solid work!
postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #9

what is your opinion with regards to having an automatic isolator in the first place ?

If one is dry camping for the most part, can't one simply just manually isolate the batteries with a dumb switch for days on end relying on the solar panels for charging ?

The only point in joining them manually again would be when the vehicle is driven for substantial lengths of time.

Does one gain that much from using the vehicle battery in the night (non solar period) ?

The AGM batteries do not have that much capacity as one needs to avoid deep draws (e.g. 50%). Is that why people have the automatic isolator ?
jronne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

They are there simply used as protection most of the time. For instance you leave on something and end up pulling both battery banks down over night and wake to where the starting batteries can't start the vehicle. Are you sure you'll rember to to manually separate the batteries as you pull into camp? Same when you leave out of camp. Are you sure you'll remember to close the switch as you drive off? In heavy overcast you might not get enough solar to reach 100 percent and you pull into camp with a low house battery for the night They also protect each bank from each other and let the shore charger automatically keep each bank fully charged up to par. Just a couple reasons to have them

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote