Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

Motorcraft Connector Catalog

Check this out. It is by our very own JWA!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12425 ... talog.html

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Re: Motorcraft Connector Catalog

Glad that's of interest or potential help---its one of those things we don't need until we need it.

The biggest advantage I've found is when an OEM replacement connector is needed but its not one considered critical to performance the part numbers can be used to find a less expensive mating connector.

With most Motorcraft pigtail replacements running a minimum of $20 (and up) its nice having an alternative.

I wonder if that same link could be made into a sticky thread here too?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #3

Good sticky idea! Also JWA, is there a "tool" to spread the little fingers on the plug, because it is when I am using two screw drivers to open up a plug is when I break those fingers off!!!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Good sticky idea! Also JWA, is there a "tool" to spread the little fingers on the plug, because it is when I am using two screw drivers to open up a plug is when I break those fingers off!!!
See page 5 of the linked catalog, "Terminal Release Tools." Not 100% sure that's what they are for, but sounds like it.

I agree, I hate trying to get the plugs apart!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

BrianW: JWA will have to confirm, but it looks to me that the ice pick looking tools on page 5 of the catalog are for pushing the bullet connector out of the old plug for pushing into the new plug. Once I figure out what pigtail I need to replace the EGR sensor plug on my 5.8L (the parts guy says just zip tie it...) I will consider those tools.

But I really need a plug release tool of some sort or I will keep breaking the clips off of the plugs on my 20 year old engine.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #6

Yeah, I think you are right about the tool. If you find something that helps release those frustrating little tabs, please post a link!

BTW, those Ford tools are $36 each on their site (for a glorified screwdriver). Ouch.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #7
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA

Hmmm tool-wise I've bought and discarded quite a few so maybe I can't be all that helpful there?

Not sure of the type connector shells or housings we're talking about but generally the "fingers" are best released with this type tool: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4460-Elect...gy_auto_text_y This particular variation is handy because it is two separate tools---I have one that is doubled ended, both tools on just one handle. Honestly it wouldn't hurt having two sets of these in order to release those fingers one on each side for some connectors. Its too easy to break or damage the "fingers" trying to release just one side at a time.

Also if anyone is digging into the actual connectors to remove, add or re-configure them terminal release tools are extremely handy to have. I would say these are best suited to those like MGMetalworks and myself who enjoy re-purposing factory connectors to suit needs never anticipated. Here's one example of these types tool sets: http://www.amazon.com/Wilmar-W89732-...VXX5R2Z9DPTER1

I personally have this set: http://www.amazon.com/Steelman-95978...3SF3T0MECRMK95 (FWIW that price as now listed is less than I paid about 18 months ago. )

Because I make and/or re-configure my own connectors, both factory and custom build, the above tools are invaluable. Honestly though most automotive-type terminals can be serviced with two or three tools at most so that's easier on the budget. The larger kits cover almost everything and because its a one time purchase along with being massively useful for me its a no-brainer buy.

This set would work for most of Ford's terminals: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4461-6-Pie...8F1A9WWNFB5JXK

Do keep in mind there is a difference between terminal release tools and connector shell release toools.

A few words of caution about connectors; age and temperature greatly affects how successful we are when disconnecting them. If they're "old" its not unusual they'll almost fall apart regardless how carefully we try releasing them. If its cold they'll also be brittle. Using a hair dryer to warm them just before releasing the "fingers" tends to help especially if they've never been taken apart.

I'll add factory connectors tend to be very high quality and do their job nearly perfectly. When I cruise DIY scrap yards I snag several types of Ford connectors, especially those easily accessed and can be had with both male and female ends for future use. I don't mind spending the big money for a proper mating connector but only if its absolutely necessary and/or I don't already have something in the spare parts pile. As an example I have spent $65 on one OEM switch and pigtail lead to add PDL control to the side doors of my '03 E250 EB.

Anyway hope some of this is helpful.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote